Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Kaelin's coming back! Please wave!

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:02 am

Okay, the name's not revealed yet, but it will return a neighborhood eatery to the familiar old place at the corner of Speed and Newburg. Thanks to Mary Anne for coming across this news nugget from the neighborhood association on their Facebook page.

Deer Park Neighborhood Association wrote:Location, location, location

The former Kaelin's Restaurant (followed by Mulligan's Pub & Grille) has stood vacant for a good while, but everyone passing by in the last 18 months has had to notice the significant changes happening in anticipation of a new restaurant opening.

The property and business is owned by three men: Chris Fenton, Bill Dubourg and Matt Staggs. Interestingly, they all have Kaelin connections-either by blood or friendship. (Chris's toddler daughter Fiona's middle name is Kaelin.) All have been in the restaurant business for many years.

They have considered this a "fun project" bringing the building up to code, restoring a piece of history and putting their own twists and touches on the venture.

Chris anticipates 3 or 4 more months for the work to be completed and the new restaurant emerging.

Expect a press release after Thanksgiving, revealing the new name and other details of the site at Newburg Road and Speed Avenue.

https://www.facebook.com/DeerParkNA/pho ... 822953487/
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Kaelin's coming back! Please wave!

by Margie L » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Yay! I always loved Kaelins.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Oh good. I hope they will now allow men in with beards. As Kaelin’s, back in the 70s , my date and I were denied access to dining because he had a beard. (Despite the fact it was clean, neat and well groomed and neither of us were wearing anything as casual as blue jeans.)
We waved..good-bye.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Apologies if I missed anyone posting an update on this, but I've seen the work going on in the building and I found this article. 80/20 @ Kaelin's is the name. I'm psyched as I've really missed the old Kaelin's. Hopefully, this rebirth will be a hit.
https://insiderlouisville.com/business/new-restaurant-to-bring-burgers-back-to-kaelins/
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 am

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been discussed, but opening day for 80/20 @Kaelins is June 7th. They, as of 5/27, have yet to post the menu...http://www.8020atkaelins.com/home/, but I got lucky and got a walk through, it's pretty impressive. If you can stop, wave at me, I'm in the blue house behind the parking lot... :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm eager to give it a try, Mary Anne, and noted about waving at the blue house. :)

That was an amazing full front-page "ad" they got in the CJ the other day. Good story, but I'm fairly sure that both Barry Bingham Sr and Jr are spinning in their graves.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 am

Yawn. Another reboot like Ehrler's (don't understand the appeal there) that for some reason Louisville folks fawn over.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 29, 2018 6:30 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Yawn. Another reboot like Ehrler's (don't understand the appeal there) that for some reason Louisville folks fawn over.

I'm not quite as down about it if you are but just because it's got the name of the restaurant previously doesn't mean much to me. Just like any other new restaurant they will have to prove themselves with good food, good service and reasonable prices. Considering nothing but the name and the shell of the building are the same I don't understand why anybody would be so thrilled about it at this point.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

I’m excited, everything I’ve heard through the grapevine promises some quality in house made burger patties, they’ve spent a ton on renovations, and the entire boh is experienced and has worked at quality establishments. I know they’re getting dough from lotsa pasta to make raviolis, and he’s very particular about his Burgoo. Not just freezer to table.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 am

I don't look at it as a reboot either (never went to the original). The menu is supposed to be quite different and I already like the outside bar stools that, it seems, are at an open bar on the Newberg Rd. side. The location is nice, a number of blocks from the nearest competition, so I'm hoping for the best.

I have no interest in Ehrlers, and when Dundee reopened with the "original menu", also shrugged. But this, along with Couvillion and Flavour, brings some potentially good (and local) new choices to the area.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Should be awesome. I've been working with head chef Matt Staggs for a couple months on prep stuff and the things he has in the works are really cool. I think everyone is gonna be surprised on the 7th with how unique their vision is. It is only the Kaelin's location that they are reviving, 80/20 is it's own thing. They are just preserving an amazing neighborhood landmark with a cool new restaurant.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed May 30, 2018 5:17 pm

I don't think the Insider Louisville article mentioned it, but Matt Staggs was Coby Ming's sous chef at Harvest for a long time.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm

The red patio chairs are certainly eye-catching as you drive down Newburg Rd. :shock:
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Ooooh, they said 'fried chicken'.

BTW, I had a deconstructed Kentucky Fried Buttermilk Chicken Doughnut at High-Five a couple of weeks ago, and the chicken had the best spice combo in the breading that I have had in a long time.
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Any idea when this is opening?
Next