Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Yang Kee Noodle has lost me

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Yang Kee Noodle has lost me

by RonnieD » Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am

We got take-away from Yang Kee Noodle (original location at the mall) last Sunday and it was one of the most disappointing meals I have had in a long, long time. First let me say that since the expansion, they seem to have changed their menu to more closely resemble your average Chinese restaurant than the more interesting fusion place they started out as. They have removed my wife's favorite Thai Basil with Beef and my favorite Island Green Curry. She still builds her own out of the build-your-own stir fry menu. I opted for their "Green Curry" in hopes of getting something like the Island Green Curry I used to love. What I got was maybe 4 oz of wet vegetables soaking in coconut milk. The dish was completely devoid of any flavor not imparted by the coconut milk. It is listed as a spicy option on their menu. There wasn't even a dash of salt, much less anything that would resemble spicy. Bland is being generous. The lack of flavor was compounded by stirring in the white rice that accompanies the dish. Completely absent were the passion, care, and attention to quality that have been the hallmark of YKN for over a decade. I don't know if the dish was made incorrectly or if they have changed their recipes so dramatically that they no longer resemble what they once were, but whatever it was it was utterly disappointing. My wife reported that her dish was just ok, and that the beef was tough.

I waited a week before saying anything because after this shockingly upsetting experience, I penned an email to YKN detailing my experience and disappointment. It's now been 8 days and I have heard nothing in response. I wasn't looking for anything by way of recompense, but I was hoping for some explanation of what had happened. Nothing. This added to my growing disillusionment because historically the good people at YKN have always been prompt to respond to any feedback.

I'm not sure if they are still suffering growing pains due to their recent expansion, or if there have been changes in the management, but the entirety of my YKN experience was completely underwhelming and in stark contrast to most of my prior experiences. After a few inconsistencies in the past, I can pretty much say that I will not be going back any time soon. Damn shame too as we used to eat there at least once a week and it was always a wonderful meal. :(
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Yang Kee Noodle has lost me

by Robin Garr » Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 am

Well, dang, I hate to hear that! We ate in at the Oxmoor shop earlier this year, and while I didn't check the menu closely, we had good stuff, including a spicy Pad Thai.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 am

Same for me, Robin (in terms of the menu). I had take-out from the one at Middletown Station (think that's the right name for the giant strip center where it's impossible to turn left to get to the Shelbyville Road [a later rant]) and the quality seemed consistent with past years.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Perhaps it was an off day? That happened to me once a few years ago...no spice in the Pad Thai, overcooked chicken. I'd give it another chance, as I concur that the meals I've had from the Oxmoor store over the last year or so have been good!