Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Come on people!

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Come on people!

by Carla G » Thu May 17, 2018 3:19 pm

I called a popular restaurant regarding their menu I had been perusing on line...
“ Do you serve raw oysters inside the restaurant or just on the patio?”
“No mam we don’t.”
“So just on the patio?”
“No we don’t serve them at all.”
“Oh...they are listed on your website menu.”
“Yeah that hasn’t been updated for a couple years.”

A few quick questions revealed that nothing I was interested in was still on the menu.
That’s some sloppy marketing.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Come on people!

by Bill Veneman » Fri May 18, 2018 9:38 am

Totally agree with you! Ran across this issue at a well known house not to long ago! Very frustrating indeed!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

One useful trick: Websites tend to lag, sometimes by months or years; but Facebook pages may be somewhat more reliable. This has been a growing problem since the dawn of the Web: Developers love to set up websites for the big bucks, but they tend to be much more careless about doing updates, and that can be a real problem for restaurateurs who either don't know how or don't have access to do it themselves. It's much easier to put up the new menu in a quick FB post. Plus, a lot of websites have become semi-abandoned when the restaurants started using social media instead.

Yes, they should take them down if they won't fix them. But that's a different story. The bottom line is to double-check the web menu against FB and see if they're different.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 pm

We went to the Brown Theater tonight, and wanted to go out first for a salad and adult beverage. Couldn't remember if new BBC was open yet, so went on line and it wasn't listed on their web page. Ate elsewhere!

Later found out they've been open for a month. If they have a Web site, I don't think I should have to find a Facebook page to get info! And, btw, the BBC facebook page is only for the Arena location, at least I didn't find one for theater square.
Andrew Mellman
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

I know it is frustrating but the simple truth is that websites are not easy to update for the lay person working marketing as one of many jobs at the local eatery. They are normally partitioned from a GM or a helpful hostess behind elaborate coding or a fussy web developer that no one has the number for. Social media is where it's at. If you want to see the menu from when they opened check out a restaurants webpage, you want to see the specials and their hours look at their instagram. Now you know.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon May 21, 2018 1:17 pm

^^^

This. 100% this.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 21, 2018 7:50 pm

I got comments for both sides of this issue. As far as going to menus on the restaurant's Facebook page I certainly do agree that they are updated much more regularly. However, many restaurants just think snapping a picture of their menu is good enough and quite often these venues are hard to read if they are readable at all. You can easily insert a scanned copy of your webpage as a picture making it much easier to read.

Websites don't have to be hard to update, as long as you specify up front to the person developing it for you that you want to be able to update certain items (menus or special events for instance) through just uploading a text document it can easily be done. I've been associated with several organizations that had websites set up this way. You just have to be specific when you are setting up instead of letting the developer set it up how he wants to. Obviously he's going to set it up so it's very difficult upgrade so he can make more money off of it.

I really don't care which way a restaurant goes as long as they keep it up-to-date, make it easily accessible and very readable for everyone concerned. Also, please only put it in one place unless you're going to keep both places updated!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"