Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Why restaurants became so loud, and how to fight back

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 09, 2018 9:07 am

^ Agree 100%.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, I've been including noise for a month or two now, and honestly have had very little feedback of any form, so I guess it's not controversial, at least. Coincidentally, though, most of the places haven't been atrociously loud. Maybe it's time to crank it up ...

Like the noise rating. Great idea.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu May 10, 2018 8:35 am

Steve Shade wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Well, I've been including noise for a month or two now, and honestly have had very little feedback of any form, so I guess it's not controversial, at least. Coincidentally, though, most of the places haven't been atrociously loud. Maybe it's time to crank it up ...

Like the noise rating. Great idea.

+1
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

by Mark A. » Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 am

Great idea ! My first ever trip (and last) to Jeff Ruby's recently was so loud I could not even hear the person seated next to me. Granted, if a restaurant is super busy, then it's going to be noisy, but some restaurants seems to have better sound dampening qualities than others. Uptown Cafe comes to mind as being more of a "quiet place".
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 18, 2018 9:59 am

Mark A. wrote:Great idea ! My first ever trip (and last) to Jeff Ruby's recently was so loud I could not even hear the person seated next to me. Granted, if a restaurant is super busy, then it's going to be noisy, but some restaurants seems to have better sound dampening qualities than others. Uptown Cafe comes to mind as being more of a "quiet place".

Agree with both comments!

Jeff Ruby's does warn you . . . eating there isn't just dining, on the web page he calls it the "Jeff Ruby Experience," and his company is tagged "Jeff Ruby Culinary Entertainment!" That should be a clue . . .
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Jeff Ruby's does warn you . . . eating there isn't just dining, on the web page he calls it the "Jeff Ruby Experience," and his company is tagged "Jeff Ruby Culinary Entertainment!" That should be a clue . . .

NOISE is not entertainment.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Steve Shade wrote:

Very Well Said! As a matter of fact at least in my opinion noise is detrimental to entertainment much more often than it is an enhancement of entertainment.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:

Very Well Said! As a matter of fact at least in my opinion noise is detrimental to entertainment much more often than it is an enhancement of entertainment.

When we were last there, a rock band was playing at the bar at a typical volume for the genre. Many called the music "noise", but it was a good band - just totally inappropriate if you wanted to talk with dining companions. In other words, IMHO not "noise" but loud."
Andrew Mellman
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun May 20, 2018 9:57 am

Loud music at a restaurant is a huge pet peeve of mine. I shouldn't have to struggle to have a conversation with the person right next to me. So, keep the noise rating.

edit: by loud music I mean when they are blaring songs over the speakers. (not necessarily live bands)
Previous