Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Go East to Con Huevos and Joella’s

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 am

Go East to Con Huevos and Joella’s

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Chilaquiles topped with two eggs sunny-side-up at Con Huevos.

Three years ago two interesting new locally owned fast-casual eateries came to town, and I loved them both: Con Huevos set a new standard with its delicious, chef-driven Mexican breakfast and lunch. Joella’s first introduced us to Nashville-style hot chicken, a feisty genre that might remind you of Indi’s hot fried chicken but that’s really not the same.

Both eateries have recently opened branches in the metro’s eastern suburbs. Naturally I had to check them out.

Con Huevos

Shortly after the news broke in February that Con Huevos’ Chef Leonardo “Paco” Garcia was a semifinalist for the James Beard Foundation’s Best Chef - Southeast, Con Huevos management doubled down with the news that they’d soon be opening a suburban branch in Holiday Manor.

It took only about two months for them to spruce up and open the good-size storefront next door to Starbucks. Considering Con Huevos' excellent Mexican coffee, that Starbucks now faces keen competition. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/go-ea ... os-joellas

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Con Huevos Holiday Manor
4938 U.S. 42
384-3744
http://conhuevos.com
https://facebook.com/ConHuevosRestaurant

Robin Garr's rating: 91 points

Noise level: When there’s a crowd it does get noisy, but we were still able to talk with our table companions. (Average sound level 74-84 dB.)

Accessibility: There are no apparent barriers to wheelchair users.

Joella’s

Like the original Joella’s shop near Cannons Lane, the suburban branch, too, replaces a BoomBozz Pizza, staying under the corporate umbrella of Tony Palombino, who owns both concepts.

It opened almost a year ago in the Middletown Commons shopping center, and like the original, musters a rough-edged, rustic look with raw wood and simple furnishings to give it a rural vibe. I like their take on the Nashville treat, and if I’m not quite ready for “Fire-in-Da-Hole” inferno-level spice, I’m delighted with the endorphin rush of the next level Hot-spicy fire. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/go-ea ... os-joellas

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Joella's Hot Chicken - Middletown
13401 Shelbyville Rd #101
254-1111
joellas.com
https://facebook.com/joellashotchicken

Robin Garr's rating: 89 points

Noise level: A good lunchtime crowd maintained a buzz but not a roar, posing no challenge to conversation. (Average sound level 68-78 dB.)

Accessibility: This shopping center location appears fully accessible to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

Re: Go East to Con Huevos and Joella’s

by JeffD » Wed May 09, 2018 11:14 am

Wife and I have been fans of Con Huevos from day one. The food has always been good. We've had good luck at the one on Frankfort to get one of the small tables just outside and ordering at the counter seemed to actually add a bit to the charm of that small location. Being believers, we recently tried the new location in Holiday Manor and were totally impressed with the re-design and feeling of the place and the food was still great. I must say though that I didn't like the rushed feeling of having to order at the door for this location. With so many seating options I personally would have loved to linger over the menu a bit with a quick cup of Joe before having to commit. (I like to consider all strategic angles of my choices :) ) This didn't seem to bother my wife as much but I didn't like it. Its not to say its a deal breaker for me. I'll still go back and still like it overall but hope for a different ordering system at the new location while wiping my chin of mole and egg drippage.
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 am

Jeff, I hear you, but let me suggest an alternative that we've used at the Clifton Con Huevos since the beginning and also took advantage of the other day: We walked up to the counter, took a couple of menus, and grabbed a table. Sat there, perused at leisure, actually got coffee and water. Then we went up, placed our orders, let them know that we already had coffee, and all was well. :)
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

by JeffD » Wed May 09, 2018 11:42 am

That sounds like an excellent and obvious solution. No wonder I couldn't think of it.

Will give that a try on the next go round.

thanks,
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 am

Let me know how it goes! We've always found them very friendly and accommodating, and they didn't seem to mind our invoking this procedure at all. :)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Two good spots -- it sounds like the new Con isn't much bigger than the original? I assumed that they would go for more space, which is the only drawback of the Frankfort site.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Two good spots -- it sounds like the new Con isn't much bigger than the original? I assumed that they would go for more space, which is the only drawback of the Frankfort site.

Actually it’s much bigger, but still order at the counter style.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am

Robin F. wrote:Actually it’s much bigger, but still order at the counter style.

Yeah, I called it "a good-size storefront." but I should have been more specific: The new place has over 100 seats. Hence, a liquor license.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:09 am

Con Huevos opened a new outpost at the Omni Hotel today called Con Huevos Craves. It’s a modified menu focusing on breakfast sandwiches and burritos, although apparently they still have pancakes and chilaquiles. Just curious to see if anyone has been yet.

https://www.whas11.com/mobile/article/n ... 6b2694b6f2
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 am

After many years working downtown, Iggy, (and then a few years working in downtown Manhattan :shock: ) I enjoy not having to deal with the commuter rush every day. But for Con Huevos, I might brave the traffic sometime.