Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Instant pot, still love it?

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Instant pot, still love it?

by Gary Guss » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:13 am

We got one around Thanksgiving. Still using it but I'm falling back on slow cooker and cast iron pot more often.. Starting to wonder if it's worth it. Stuff cooks in it okay, but not quite the same texture or flavor as slow cooking. Anyone else have experiences like this.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Instant pot, still love it?

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:18 pm

We didn't have a slow cooker before, Gary, so I don't use the slow-cooker function much. On the other hand, we didn't have a pressure cooker before, and I love the (smart) pressure function. As I said above, it's an amazing bean cooker, and I'd be happy to have it for that alone. But I also find that I can do a lot of dishes - Indian in particular - by starting with saute and finishing with pressure, getting a dinner done faster and with fewer dishes than the traditional method.

The only place I'm less than absolutely convinced is the rice cooker. I like it, and it's handy, but I had always used a double boiler, which is also a quick and foolproof technique. I'm not sure the IP improves on it.

Still, I'm happy we got it, and if I didn't use it for anything but dry beans, I'd still be happy I got it.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 pm

My experience has actually been the opposite, Gary. I've had mine for a little over a year. I never had a pressure cooker prior, but have been using a crockpot since I was a teenager. I couldn't tell you the last time I used my crock, now that I have an IP. When my daughter asked to borrow it a few weeks ago I told her to just keep it, since I no longer use it. I actually just bought a second IP, so I can cook two things at once! I've found that my roasts and other meat dishes have much more flavor than when they've been slow cooking for 8+ hours. The texture is pretty much comparable, in the things I've cooked, at least. For me it's been all about the better, less watered down flavor, and convenience of tossing frozen meat in and having it perfectly cooked in less than an hour.
I've never used it as a rice cooker, or to make yogurt, etc. Just the pressure cooking.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 am

I think the best selling point for an IP is it’s walk away and leave it aspect. It’s great too for busy moms that forgot to thaw out those chicken breasts before they left for work in the morning. Or beans. Otherwise I agree with everyone else. I found I prefer slow roasting or cooking better.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Received one as a Christmas gift...and quietly returned it. I suppose it depends on your lifestyle and what kind of food you typically prepare...For us it would have done nothing except take up shelf space.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Did a corned beef tonight in the IP. Sautéed some onions, added a beer and the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef and put it on for 60 minutes. It was awesome. Looking forward to some grand ruebens.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Great idea on the Corned beef!
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Love mine.

Robin has already highlighted indian.

Its great for soups and stocks. I make beef stock after eating a few bone in steaks... then next day caramilize onions. Beat french onion soup i have ever made.

Pork shoulder does well. Pork verde turned out amazing.

If you are looking for an excuse to use it more, i will link some recipes!
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 pm

I am loving mine. I've never liked what happens to herbs and spices in the slow cooker, and I don't have 'dull flavor' issues with the IP. I always had an electric pressure cooker for stock, but the IP let me get rid of the slow cooker and rice maker. Saved a bunch of counter space.

Seconded on corned beef. I always used the pressure cooker for corned beef. I just throw in an onion and carrots and pour white vermouth over the meat.

My latest obsession is Ropa Vieja. Just made a big pot earlier this evening.
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:24 am

Margie L wrote:I am loving mine. I've never liked what happens to herbs and spices in the slow cooker, and I don't have 'dull flavor' issues with the IP. I always had an electric pressure cooker for stock, but the IP let me get rid of the slow cooker and rice maker. Saved a bunch of counter space.

Seconded on corned beef. I always used the pressure cooker for corned beef. I just throw in an onion and carrots and pour white vermouth over the meat.

My latest obsession is Ropa Vieja. Just made a big pot earlier this evening.

I need to make Ropa Vieja!

I did a corned beef chuck roast sous vide this year... It was phenomenal...
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:52 am

I've been using this recipe: http://acalculatedwhisk.com/pressure-cooker-ropa-vieja/

Leave out the tumeric and feel free to substitute sliced stuffed olives for the capers and pimentos. I have also been using chuck roast because I have it on hand.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Thu May 03, 2018 9:44 pm

IMG_1016 (1).JPG
IMG_1016 (1).JPG (116.86 KiB) Viewed 13010 times
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

That looks quite tasty Margie! (And I love the sweet china pattern!)
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks Carla. It was my mom's...she loved the pattern.