Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Very interesting announcement from Mirin.

by GaryF » Tue May 08, 2018 1:39 am

This will be fun to watch- go Griffin!

Alright, friends, family, and followers, I have an announcement to make. It’s gonna be an over-share so STRAP IN.

Tonight we offered alcohol at cost (plus a penny, shout out to ABC, we stay legal and love y’all). We were busy. Like, the third busiest Monday we’ve ever had.

So I make the joke, right?

“Maybe we should offer alcohol at cost (plus a penny, shout out ABC) EVERY night.”

Then I started looking at the numbers.

We don’t make any money off alcohol anyway. And it’s a totally reasonable mark up! But I think there’s this stigma of like... what things are supposed to cost. For instance, you go out to Joe’s Diner or Reggie’s or whatever, and you have zero problem paying $30 for a bottle of something objectively terrible like Apothic Red, but then you get a super well thought out, delicious bottle of sake that happens to be half the size and you’re like “FIFTEEN DOLLARS???? WHAT???? THIS IS LUDICROUS. ITS A SCAM”.

Well, it’s not a scam. But I do understand your plight.

So let’s level.

I don’t make any money off alcohol anyway. I’m selling it at fire sale prices RIGHT NOW. So rather than fight about it, or attempt to educate, which you don’t need or want from me anyway, i’m gonna go the opposite direction. I’m taking it a step further.

For the month of June, any alcohol you buy. And I do mean ANY ALCOHOL YOU BUY. I’ll sell it to you at cost (plus a penny, shout out ABC, we love y’all and appreciate the hard work you do), provided you buy at least $9 worth of food.

There is no catch. This is not a joke. This is a win/win, for you and I. Alcohol makes up 7% of my sales. I undercharge for it anyway. It’s quick service, so I don’t have to staff a Somm or bartenders, we literally just open a bottle and hand it to you. I don’t need to do things like everyone else. I’m in a unique position as a restaurant owner, and, you, as my guest, are in a unique position to capitalize! I might as well make way less money on my alcohol (but still make money on it, shout out ABC) and put your butts in my seats, sell you our delicious (I admit, I’m biased) food, and WE ALL GROW AS HUMAN BEINGS.

So, like, yeah. Month of June. We’ll see how it goes. Maybe I’ll make this a permanent thing. Maybe I’m an idiot and it won’t work. I truly don’t know.

I do know, you won’t want to miss these DEALS.

Much love,

Griffin Paulin
Owner/Operator
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Very interesting announcement from Mirin.

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 am

Go Griffin indeed! He's disrupting a very strong tradition, though. I hope he doesn't get visited by a couple of big guys with no necks. 8)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 08, 2018 10:02 am

I can see this. We used to do something similar at Gumbo A Go-Go with our beers. I was selling domestics for under $1 and imports for $3, when everyone else in town was getting $3 and $4 for Bud Light. We didn't make a ton of money off beer sales so if it pulled more people in to eat amazing Cajun food (also very affordable) then it was a win-win. Oh sure, you get the looks of "this is too good to be true, what's wrong with this beer?" just as you would if you sold an $6 Ribeye. But if your model isn't built on alcohol sales, you can totally get away with it. Don't look for any of the local bars to make this move.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue May 08, 2018 12:58 pm

BEER LIST MIRIN.jpg
BEER LIST MIRIN.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue May 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Curious as to what prices restaurants pay for beer/alcohol? Looks like Mirin is paying more for Truth than I am at a Total Wine. I always assumed restaurants were getting a decent price on booze.

http://www.totalwine.com/beer/ale/ipa-i ... rules=true
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/