Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LA Times food critic gives up on anonymity

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am

Interesting article and interview with Jonathan Gold, talking about his decision to quit worrying about anonymity in a city where everyone knows who he is.

https://amp.thedailybeast.com/la-times- ... ct-looking

I have to admit that this resonates with me in that it's hard for me to escape recognition. I do think keeping as low a profile as possible is important, though.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Re: LA Times food critic gives up on anonymity

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu May 03, 2018 11:22 am

I notice he said he doesn't like eggs. I imagine that would be hard to avoid, but I guess he means just eggs prepared in and of themselves.

Is there anything you try to steer clear of, Robin?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu May 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Robin- in the first restaurant I worked at here in Louisville your picture was framed in the office so we could spot you. There is no hiding.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:I notice he said he doesn't like eggs. I imagine that would be hard to avoid, but I guess he means just eggs prepared in and of themselves.

Is there anything you try to steer clear of, Robin?

I thought the egg avoidance was odd, Gordon! I try not to bring taboos to the review table because it wouldn't be fair. I do remember a former CJ critic who hated tofu and downgraded restaurants that had it. Not really the way to be!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 pm

GaryF wrote:Robin- in the first restaurant I worked at here in Louisville your picture was framed in the office so we could spot you. There is no hiding.

Oh, yeah ... that goes back a long way! Still, low-profile techniques help a lot. That, and a very low rage threshold for being sucked up to, which means that recognizing me me be a very bad thing, if you're not capable of being discreet. ;)