Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Why restaurants became so loud, and how to fight back

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 am

Very interesting article, including some discussion of adding noise reports to restaurant reviews. Now that we've started publishing a brief noise evaluation/decibel check at the end of our reviews on HotBytes and LEO, what does everyone think?

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/4 ... d-decibels
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Re: Why restaurants became so loud, and how to fight back

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:30 pm

I seem to remember the old Casa Grisanti on Liberty being whisper quiet, in addition to it's minimalist interior.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm

It has certainly been 1 of our pet peeves for quite a while, you can have a conversation with the person next to you or even one across the table the restaurant is definitely too loud!

Robin, maybe you need 1 of these to take with you when you review a restaurant: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C3 ... ound+meter
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:21 am

I had dinner at the Middletown Havana Rumba last week.

The food was outstanding. The service was also outstanding.

However, it was really really loud. It got even worse when the musician started playing.

I’d prefer it much quieter as the sounds seemed to be bouncing off the walls and ceiling causing almost like a loud echo effect making difficult to have a conversation, but if the food and service remain at that level, I will be returning many times.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 am

I grew up with a Mom who had a hearing loss, on top of that she loved television so she constantly had the tv blaring. I developed an aversion to loudness of any kind. If I am in a loud restaurant I want to leave or eat quickly and rarely comeback.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm

BevP wrote:I grew up with a Mom who had a hearing loss, on top of that she loved television so she constantly had the tv blaring. I developed an aversion to loudness of any kind. If I am in a loud restaurant I want to leave or eat quickly and rarely comeback.

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 am

The inability to have a conversation without shouting across a table will absolutely keep me from any restaurant, no matter how great it may be.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:00 pm

TP Lowe wrote:The inability to have a conversation without shouting across a table will absolutely keep me from any restaurant, no matter how great it may be.

Makes two of us.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 pm

I just got home from Taco Luchador in St Matthews. I've never eaten in such a deafeningly loud place in my life. It was full of people and LOUD...like, you had to scream to be heard LOUD. We left quickly after eating and honestly, I don't think I will go back. The food was fine, but my ears still hurt and my throat is hoarse.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue May 01, 2018 5:37 pm

While I have often made fun of 'atmosphere' as a priority in restaurant reviews, I am all in on discussing noise levels. A painfully loud room is enough to outweigh good food.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

Mary Anne wrote:I just got home from Taco Luchador in St Matthews. I've never eaten in such a deafeningly loud place in my life. It was full of people and LOUD...like, you had to scream to be heard LOUD. We left quickly after eating and honestly, I don't think I will go back. The food was fine, but my ears still hurt and my throat is hoarse.

Support Mexa anyway. No noise, authentic street tacos, amazing homemade hot sauces, and you're not supporting the mega corporate conglomerate that is the Ole Group.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm

neal.johnson wrote:mega corporate conglomerate

To quote Mandy Patinkin's character from The Princess Bride, "I do not think that means what you think it means."
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 pm

I am SO in favor of including noise levels in reviews. My BF and I had dinner at Red Hog, and the food and cocktails were great. However, the music was so loud that conversation was nearly impossible. I politely asked our server if they would turn the music down and they did. Sweet! Not more than 5 minutes later, it was blaring again and customers were back to shouting. I go out for a meal with someone to share the food, but one of the best parts is the conversation and time together. I won't go back, sadly.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2018 7:47 am

Well, I've been including noise for a month or two now, and honestly have had very little feedback of any form, so I guess it's not controversial, at least. Coincidentally, though, most of the places haven't been atrociously loud. Maybe it's time to crank it up ...
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 am

Robin, I like the additional information. It has little bearing on my decision of where to eat, but I like to know ahead of time what kind of atmosphere to expect.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
Next