Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

La Lupita stands out in Clarksville

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:15 am

La Lupita stands out in Clarksville

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

A hearty lunch at La Lupita.

Can a dining decision be political? You bet! When nightly news shows horrifying images of immigrant parents ripped from their families while partisans shout for a border wall, it’s time to call B.S. The best way I know to do that is to take my dining business to local restaurants run by Latino neighbors, such as the spectacularly good La Lupita in Clarksville.

And while I’m there, happily noshing, I want to thank the owners and servers and tell them I’m glad they’re here: “Me gusta que tu eres mi vecina,” I’ll say in fractured Spanglish, reaching out with a few words in their language. “I’m happy that you are my neighbor.”

It’s easy to find good Mexican eateries around town nowadays, as they’ve proliferated in recent years. Just about every neighborhood has a few, but many of the real Spanish-speaking taquerias are concentrated in the South End, along Preston Highway, and across the Ohio in Clarksville.

We took a quick run across the bridges the other day and were amply rewarded by my first visit to La Lupita. The first won’t be the last. Based on an exceptional meal and stellar service, I’m naming this lovable little eatery No. 1 in the local taqueria sweepstakes. What’s more, it’s the only local taqueria I know of that specializes in the regional cuisine of Oaxaca (“Wa-hah-ca”) in far southern Mexico.

The restaurant is bigger inside than it looks, with two fairly large bright rooms loaded with exuberant, colorful Mexican decor.

The colorful four-page menu offers more than 60 dishes, many under $10, topping out with meat and seafood dinners between $11.99 and $14.99. Be sure to look for the Oaxacan specialities scattered among the more familiar Mexican dishes. They’re worth seeking out. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/lupit ... larksville

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

La Lupita Mexican Restaurant
827 Eastern Blvd.
Clarksville, Indiana
(812) 285-0083
Facebook: http://bit.ly/LaLupitaIN

Noise level: Conversation is easy. (Average sound level around 65 dB)

Accessibility: Entrance and restrooms are level and appear accessible to wheelchair users. There’s a high curb in front of the entrance, so it’s best to park near the east end of the building, near the curb ramp.
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

Re: La Lupita stands out in Clarksville

by Ryan Rogers » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 pm

The aguachile is a can't miss the next time you're in - it's very spicy. Lovely people, great food.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks, Ryan. The aguachile actually caught my eye. I'm sure I'll become a regular at that place. It's actually closer to home base than the Hurstbourne area, and a heck of a lot faster now that the bridges are done.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 pm

I picked up some tamales and tlacoyos there today. You weren’t kidding, Robin — they were fantastic! And a really nice spicy habanero salsa. Super-friendly staff, too. We will definitely be back. So glad you reviewed this place!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:03 am

Iggy C wrote:I picked up some tamales and tlacoyos there today. You weren’t kidding, Robin — they were fantastic! And a really nice spicy habanero salsa. Super-friendly staff, too. We will definitely be back. So glad you reviewed this place!

Glad you loved the Oaxacan goodies, Iggy! I really ran across it fairly randomly ... hey, I haven't noticed this place before! And was really surprised at the quality of food and service. And funky decor, too. :) La Loma had been my go-to on that strip, and it's good, but I have to say this is better.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks for discovering this place, Robin. It's fantastic! That tamale is truly delicious; I swear the masa was almost flaky. I tried the platillo oaxacaqueno, a regional sampler platter, and everything on it was highly tasty and perfectly cooked. The asada was both tender and flavorful, the chorizo crisply browned, and the mole---wow, possibly the best I've ever had. My wife had the entomaladas and they were a great spin on enchiladas. I've long been an El Mocajate fan, and before that Sante Fe Grill, but this place has shot to the top. Next trip: chile rellenos.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 am

Glad you like it, Steve! We just dropped in on a whim, and it really blew us away. I agree, it has moved into the No. 1 local spot for taquerias for me, and the Oaxaca accent is a big added plus.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:02 pm

I had to pick up my son at the Clarksville Strike and Spare and stumbled across La Lupita while looking for something to eat between time. I don't think I have ever been on that road before.

The outdoor menu and pictures intrigued me. The place looked modestly authentico so I went in and ordered a caldo de res. It was excellent.

I like those types of places where one is likely the only gringo in the place. Some of the other dishes I saw on the other tables looked tasty. I look forward to getting back out there again.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Glad you found it, James! I'm really smitten and have been back a couple of times. I think they and El Mariachi on Lagrange Road are the only two places in the region that treat the cuisine of Oaxaca as their primary focus.