Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Go to Whiskey Dry for the bourbon. Stay for a burger.

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 am

Go to Whiskey Dry for the bourbon. Stay for a burger.

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

A quick dissection reveals Whiskey Dry’s roasted veggie burger’s stylish paper-thin layers.

“Whiskey” or “whisky”? What’s the difference? For Chef Edward Lee, the “e” option was the way to go for his new liquor bar and diner, Whiskey Dry. This makes sense, since by general practice – enshrined in The Associated Press Stylebook that guides American media editors – bourbon, rye and Irish are whiskey with an ey, while Scotch, Canadian and Japanese are whisky with a y.

But Louisville people who grew up with Old Forester whisky and Makers Mark whisky aren’t so sure about all this. Whisky or whiskey? This is the kind of whiskey-nerd discussion that would go just right with a glass or three at Whiskey Dry, Lee’s latest venture that opened in Fourth Street Live last month.

The first thing that strikes your eye when you step in to Whiskey Dry is the wall of liquor, a floor-to-ceiling lighted back bar illuminating some 200 bottles of liquor on shelves like a drinkable library.

Lee, who founded 610 Magnolia and Milkwood , now spends much of his time in Washington, D.C., nurturing his new Succotash property there .   He and  Stacey Stewart, who adds Whiskey Dry to her duties in charge of the bar program at Milkwood, have fashioned an extensive drinks menu . Its vast roster of bourbons and other world liquors  are listed in geographical categories, with house favorites marked by a ♥︎. Drinks come in 2-ounce pours, mostly ranging from $8 to $10 but rising upward for trophy items.

The simple, striking style features wood tones, whites and grays, highlighted by imaginative koi, wooden bourbon-barrel ends, and framed photos of bourbon in the making. In short, Whiskey Dry is a great bar, and it adds another big gun to Louisville’s effort to stake our claim as the world center of bourbon tourism.

If you’re expecting 610 or Milkwood-level food, though, your expectations may fall short. Liquor is the draw here, with a relatively affordable, tongue-in-cheek diner-style menu offering noshing opportunities to accompany the beverages. What’s more, you’re not a whole lot more likely to find Lee in the kitchen than you are to spot Guy Fieri in his joint down the block.

My friend Laura and I checked the cocktail list before we even got to the food. It features a half-dozen classic cocktails and a dozen creative house cocktails, priced from $8 to $16. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/whisk ... bon-burger

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Whiskey Dry
412 S. Fourth St.
Fourth Street Live
749-7933
http://whiskeydryrestaurant.com
https://facebook.com/whiskeydrylou
https://instagram.com/whiskeydry
Robin Garr’s rating: 82 points
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Go to Whiskey Dry for the bourbon. Stay for a burger.

by Steve Shade » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Lee, who founded 610 Magnolia

Really .... Note Ed Garber.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Lee, who founded 610 Magnolia

Really .... Note Ed Garber.

So soon we forget.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Lee, who founded 610 Magnolia ?
See also: Ed Garber.

You guys beat me to it.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am

RonnieD wrote:Speaking of Succotash, it got a lukewarm review in the WP this week

Dinged them for inconsistency, which seemed to be my primary issue with Whiskey Dry as well.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm

I like how they include the decibel level at the end of the review.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Iggy C wrote:I like how they include the decibel level at the end of the review.

We're thinking about doing something like that, although I have some concerns including the accuracy of a smartphone dB app and the wild variability of noise depending on the crowd, the time of day, and whether your neighbors lost their indoor voices. ;)
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:I like how they include the decibel level at the end of the review.

We're thinking about doing something like that, although I have some concerns including the accuracy of a smartphone dB app and the wild variability of noise depending on the crowd, the time of day, and whether your neighbors lost their indoor voices. ;)

Other concerns notwithstanding, if you're worried about the accuracy of an app, you can get a standalone sound meter for $15-20 from Amazon.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:53 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Other concerns notwithstanding, if you're worried about the accuracy of an app, you can get a standalone sound meter for $15-20 from Amazon.

Thanks, Jeff! Good point. It would be particularly interesting to match a modest standalone meter against an app to see how closely they track. Really, though, that's not my major concern. I just don't think a one-time check would be very fair, because a place that I hit on a busy night with a noisy party nearby is going to get an undeserved ding compared with a place that's actually similar but where I hit on a quiet night with a half-empty room and no one close to us. I'm going to try giving a verbal check, but I'm not inclined to go with a reading, because it implies a precision that isn't really there.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Other concerns notwithstanding, if you're worried about the accuracy of an app, you can get a standalone sound meter for $15-20 from Amazon.

I just don't think a one-time check would be very fair, because a place that I hit on a busy night with a noisy party nearby is going to get an undeserved ding compared with a place that's actually similar but where I hit on a quiet night with a half-empty room and no one close to us. I'm going to try giving a verbal check, but I'm not inclined to go with a reading, because it implies a precision that isn't really there.

I don’t see why a one-time check on decibels is any different than a one-time check on any other aspect of the restaurant review, like the service or the doneness of the chicken or whatever. You can always put it in context (50 decibels on a busy Friday night) if you want.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 am

Iggy C wrote:I don’t see why a one-time check on decibels is any different than a one-time check on any other aspect of the restaurant review, like the service or the doneness of the chicken or whatever. You can always put it in context (50 decibels on a busy Friday night) if you want.

I hear you, Iggy. My feeling is that the overall take on a place rests on a lot more variables, but I hear you. Let me reflect on this, but the idea of giving context to the number does feel better than just putting out out cold.