Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: How soon before closing is it considered rude to order?

by Mark R. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Gary Z wrote:I wouldn’t call it a public reveal. If you talk to any server for any length of time you’ll find that we all bitch about basically the same things. And late night diners are one of them. What blowback do I really deserve for having an opinion that most industry people share?

In order to answer your question you may want to read Marsha's latest article listed on the main page.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:42 pm

I am in no way concerned about my image on social media as nothing I’ve said is really controversial whatsoever.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:59 pm

charles.minter wrote:When you sober up tomorrow morning, you are going to start deleting your posts.

probably true
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Gary Z wrote:I am in no way concerned about my image on social media as nothing I’ve said is really controversial whatsoever.

WRONG .. Post the "kitchen closed" at a certain time if you so desire or else serve without complaint.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Gary Z wrote:What blowback do I really deserve for having an opinion that most industry people share?

None, but your reluctance to be as bold about broadcasting your employment as you are with your opinions takes a little weight off the value of your opinions. I guess we could just ask ... well, never mind. :evil:
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 am

Steve Shade wrote:
charles.minter wrote:When you sober up tomorrow morning, you are going to start deleting your posts.

probably true

Weird how they’re all still up. <eyeroll>
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Gary Z wrote:What blowback do I really deserve for having an opinion that most industry people share?

None, but your reluctance to be as bold about broadcasting your employment as you are with your opinions takes a little weight off the value of your opinions. I guess we could just ask ... well, never mind. :evil:

As was brought up by Mark in reference to Marsha’s article... it’s never a good idea to give specific information in regard to employers, employees or guests when it comes to forming a negative opinion on social media. I’m sure you’ll allow me the slightest bit of protection from some of the thin skinned SJWs that frequent this board.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 am

Gary Z wrote:Honestly I don’t care when you come in as long as you’re out by close. If you can do three courses in 20 minutes, have at it.

Other rude comments aside, this seems like a pretty reasonable standard.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Other rude comments aside, this seems like a pretty reasonable standard.

Yup.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 am

No three course meal here! And we walked out at 10:28. Hopefully the two tables still left didn't linger too long.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Maybe getting back on topic, having been a customer, an employee, and a restaurant owner, I have seen this from all 3 sides, and I totally get it from all 3 sides.

The owner part of me wants your money, I don't care if it's 1 minute before close or 60. Hours of Operation are the hours of operation. They clearly state the hours the business is open to do business. If you don't want customers a half hour before you close, then close an half hour earlier and keep the staff around the other 30 minutes to clean up and break down. Don't post hours unless you intend to honor them. A guest at 5 minutes to close deserves the same experience as the one who is there during peak hours. This is my mindset now, even though I no longer own the business I work for. I never want a customer to miss a meal because of some implied "too close to closing" social taboo.

As an employee, I'm exhausted, I'm sore, I'm ready to break it down and go home. Early in my career this meant that if you came in 30 min before close you were getting the bum's rush and your meal was going to be produced as quickly and with as little effort as possible. Now late in my career, I appreciate that every plate that leaves my kitchen represents me and my work, so while I am still tired and ready to go home, I'm going to wearily dirty up whatever it takes to make sure you get the same meal you were going to get at the height of the dinner rush, then break back down and go home. I don't want a single guest to get a subpar meal just because they were hungry later than the rest of the rabble.

As a customer, I am torn, because I know the owner wants my money, the employees want to both go home and rest, but also work for a successful restaurant that can some day pay them a better wage, and I'm willing to bet there are more employees out there like Early Me than there are like Current Me. So unless it's a dire situation, I am unlikely to go to anything other than a fine dining restaurant more than 30 minutes before close. If it's a small local place with the owner likely on site, then I think chances are better to have a great experience in the final hour before close, but otherwise I am ashamed to admit I allow the social taboo to dictate where I go...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the response, Ronnie! I think I'll follow the 30-minutes-prior rule, but dammit, could Louisville please get some restaurants that stay open later during the week? I get tired of Ramsi's for meals after 10pm!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Here's the latest discussion I can find (1.5 years ago) of restaurants that are open late: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24175
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Our kitchen (Gerstle's) is open until 1am daily, dine-in or carry-out, and we don't mind if you come in 15 minutes before close.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
Previous