Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

How soon before closing is it considered rude to order?

by Alanna H » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Last week we went to a movie at Baxter Theater (yes, Black Panther is all they say, and more!) and went to grab dinner afterward.
We stopped by Sapporo- I wasn't sure what time they closed during the week but we got to the door and it said 10:30. Looked at the time and it was 10:04. I thought that was perfectly acceptable. My son complained that we shouldn't go that close to closing. Sorry kid, Mom wins. In we go.
As he's getting ready to seat us, the host tells me that the kitchen closes in 10 minutes (10:15), so we need to order quickly. I felt like he had a bit of attitude when he said it, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Then the server comes to take our drink orders and tells us the same thing. We already knew what we wanted, and placed our order right then.
Another table came in a few minutes after us, so at least we weren't the last customers, lol! We quickly ate our food when it came, and headed out. Maybe I'm being a naive diner, maybe I'm just being too sensitive, but was it really a big deal that we came in 25 minutes before closing? I would never dream of going in somewhere 10 minutes before closing. Probably not even 15. But I thought 25- even if the kitchen was closing in 10- would be fine. I'd love to get the opinions from those of you in the business.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Re: How soon before closing is it considered rude to order?

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 am

Well at least you’re concerned about it, which is more than most people. In general it’s best to try and avoid going in in the last half hour. The BOH is breaking down and the FOH is cleaning. Everyone is tired and ready for the night to be over. Which might explain the curtness of the staff you encountered.

No one’s going to tell you no, but they all secretly want to.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:38 am

Post a last seating time. If you don’t and say you are open, I honestly don’t want to hear the complaints.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:01 am

charles.minter wrote:Post a last seating time. If you don’t and say you are open, I honestly don’t want to hear the complaints.

Or y’know... you could just use some common sense and not be a jackass. You wouldn’t walk into a bank 20 minutes before they close and expect to refinance your mortgage would you?
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 am

Right. So a customer should know 41 minutes before a closing time is perfectly ok, 37 minutes and 27 seconds before closing is ok but the employees are kind of mad, 29 minutes before closing is kind of ok but the cook is pissed and 19 minutes and 23 seconds before closing they want to kick your ass.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:20 am

Honestly I don’t care when you come in as long as you’re out by close. If you can do three courses in 20 minutes, have at it.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:24 am

So are people that come in late jackasses, like you said, or you don’t care? You seem to contradict yourself.

Also, if I owned a restaurant I wouldn't be happy with a waiter calling my customers that spend their money late at my restaurant a jackass.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 am

charles.minter wrote:So are people that come in late jackasses, like you said, or you don’t care? You seem to contradict yourself.

Also, if I owned a restaurant I wouldn't be happy with a waiter calling my customers that spend their money late at my restaurant a jackass.

No, I was saying that people who think of no one other than themselves are jackasses. It’s called empathy. Try some.

As to your last point, this is a restaurant forum. You have foodies and industry people alike here. We call you jackasses if you refuse to sit at the table you are offered or want a 1/2 and 1/2 sweet/unsweetened tea. Get over yourself.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 am

Your last post reveals a lot about your character. It reflects very poorly on those that share your profession.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 am

I’m here to eat dinner and in turn, via my tip since your employer pays you slave wages, help pay your electric bill. Can I have a table instead of this booth. No! You fucking asshole.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:43 am

Jesus. Booth people. lol
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 am

When you sober up tomorrow morning, you are going to start deleting your posts.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:48 am

Negative. I’m only two beers in. I got off late because some jackass walked in 15 minutes before close.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

by charles.minter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:01 am

Everyone knows where you work and you just called your customers jackasses? You aren’t very smart.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 am

I’ll make sure to let you know when I’m terminated. Maybe you should hold your breath.
Next