Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Comfy Cow Sold!

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Comfy Cow Sold!

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 am

According to an article this morning in business 1st Comfy Cow has been sold to a private investor.

Here's the article: https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... j=80073871
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Comfy Cow Sold!

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Yeah, very nervous.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:03 pm

It’s been sold to Chip Hamm, who has been involved in Comfy Cow for several years. Don’t know if it will effect the business, he is a money guy mostly.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:he is a money guy mostly.

These are the words that worry me.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 am

The quality went down after they went to a larger scale production and changed their recipes.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I went to the Westport Village location on Sunday. Only 8 flavors, no pies (the case was broken), a free-standing case was dark and empty and the store just didn't look good at all. None of that bodes well for CC.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:44 pm

I can't speak to "didn't look good at all," which is highly subjective, but the short selection of flavors and the decision not to sell bulk packages aren't new. When the original owners sold out to their lawyer and friend, I think his intention was to scale back to something more sustainable. Close the Indiana shops, contract out production, and make what they can sell. It might not be as much fun, but it's possibly a better bet for the long haul.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Margie L wrote:The quality went down after they went to a larger scale production and changed their recipes.

Their product was delicious and worth going out of the way for early on. I tried going back a few times since the change to make sure it just wasn't my imagination. It wasn't my imagination. The greed to grow and compromise quality was almost criminal. I feel like they stole something from us. Something real special.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Their product was delicious and worth going out of the way for early on. I tried going back a few times since the change to make sure it just wasn't my imagination. It wasn't my imagination. The greed to grow and compromise quality was almost criminal. I feel like they stole something from us. Something real special.

I agree, and I am similarly disappointed. I remember the first Dulce de Leche Salte I had there. At some point, the flavor and texture changed completely, and I posted that opinion here. One of the owners replied (in no uncertain terms) that nothing had changed. I didn't believe it then, or now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Margie L wrote:I agree, and I am similarly disappointed. I remember the first Dulce de Leche Salte I had there. At some point, the flavor and texture changed completely, and I posted that opinion here. One of the owners replied (in no uncertain terms) that nothing had changed. I didn't believe it then, or now.

This thread? I don't think they denied that it had changed, only spun it as a good thing. What do you think?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22914&p=171027#p171027
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm

They can spin it however they like but it's definitely not the same nor is it better! What used to be amazing is now just average.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Margie L wrote:I agree, and I am similarly disappointed. I remember the first Dulce de Leche Salte I had there. At some point, the flavor and texture changed completely, and I posted that opinion here. One of the owners replied (in no uncertain terms) that nothing had changed. I didn't believe it then, or now.

This thread? I don't think they denied that it had changed, only spun it as a good thing. What do you think?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22914&p=171027#p171027

You're right Robin...I misremembered the conversation. It might have been because I felt like I was being bullsh***ed.