Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

BATTERED (NOT breaded) Fish Sandwich ???

by Steve P » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 pm

OK, so I GET that most of you who grew up in Louisville love these cornmeal breaded fish fillets served between two plain pieces of rye bread...It's your idea of a fish sandwich. What I'm (still) looking for though is a WET BATTERED (beer or otherwise) fish sandwich served on a thick bun/roll (Kaiser or other)...Anyone know of a fish fry that serves this type of preparation ???? Culver's actually serves up a darn tasty version of what I'm looking for but I'm betting there are others - somewhere.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: BATTERED (NOT breaded) Fish Sandwich ???

by Carla G » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:37 pm

I grew up here in Louisville and I don’t remember seeing a breaded fish sandwich in town until the 80s. But personally, I’m with you Steve, I far prefer battered fish. Have you tried the King Fish on River Road? The fish is still hand battered as are their onion rings. Beers pretty cheap too and, if I remember right, they offer a selection from the smaller breweries. And the view is great as well.

You might try Mike Linning’s waaaaaaay out Cane Run Road too. They’ve been there since , well, forever it seems. Neither place is much in the way of culinary experiences but they both do simple, fried seafood very well. And you can wear jeans.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 pm

I've yet to try the place, but Robin's review of Hull and High Water mentioned their London-Town style fish sandwich. The one he reviewed and pictured was on toast, but they may be able to substitute a roll or bun. Looks pretty tasty so you may want to give them a shot. I plan on going some Monday night to take advantage of the $1.50 raw oysters.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm

As Carla mentioned Mike Linning’s has a great battered fish, unfortunately it is served on bread instead of a bun. They also have great onion rings. Actually, Moby Dick has a decent battered fried fish (also pretty good onion rings and shrimp) but again it served on bread instead of a bun. I presently don't like the fish At Kingfish as well as Carla apparently does but everybody has different tastes. Since it's now church fish fry season for the Catholic Church is you may want to check with a few of them also. I know St. Patrick's out by Lake Forest has very good battered fish and I'm sure many others do also.

Following up on Steve's post regarding Hull and High Water, looking at their menu they have a fried fish Po'Boy sandwich which according to the menu is served on a French Hoagie Bun.

I think you'll find efficient any of these places quite good but I really have never found a place in town that serves battered fish on a bun.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I only have had the fried shrimp at Hull or Highwater, but FWIW thought they were very good. Might be worth calling to see about batters.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:28 pm

I bet almost any restaurant that serves anything on a bun would be willing to swap out sliced bread for a bun. The difference in cost to them would be infinitesimal next to losing a customer over it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:35 pm

These nice folks should be able to satisfy a batter crave. 8)

https://www.ljsilvers.com/
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm

https://www.ljsilvers.com/

Which Long Johns do you go to Robin???
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm

I like the ones at Nord's. :lol:
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 pm

You want Frisch’s fish sandwich. (I can’t believe I just typed that.)

No really, it’s not bad. Wet battered fillets, bun, lettuce and tartar sauce. You can even get this brown mysterious “rye bun” if you’re so inclined. I like ‘em with a coke with the “good ice” with vanilla syrup added.

Frisch’s doesn’t cook all that much of their food on site anymore but they still man a mean deep fryer.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:You want Frisch’s fish sandwich. (I can’t believe I just typed that.)

No really, it’s not bad. Wet battered fillets, bun, lettuce and tartar sauce. You can even get this brown mysterious “rye bun” if you’re so inclined. I like ‘em with a coke with the “good ice” with vanilla syrup added.

Frisch’s doesn’t cook all that much of their food on site anymore but they still man a mean deep fryer.

Interesting that you mention Frisch's. I went to one this evening for the first time in probably 30 years. My youngest boy received a valentines card that gives him a free kids meal at Frisch's with the purchase of an adult meal. So I ordered a fish sandwich as my adult choice. Not bad texture, but not much flavor in the fish itself. Still, it was ok.

Actually, I stopped off at an Arby's on the road when out of town a few days back. Their fish sandwich was 2 for $5. I figured it couldn't be worse than anything else there. To my surprise, it was pretty darn good. And at 2 for $5 it was quite a bargain.
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 am

James Natsis wrote:
Alexis Rich wrote:
Actually, I stopped off at an Arby's on the road when out of town a few days back. Their fish sandwich was 2 for $5. I figured it couldn't be worse than anything else there. To my surprise, it was pretty darn good. And at 2 for $5 it was quite a bargain.

I had one the other day from Arby’s and was pleasantly surprised. Easily the best fast food fish out there IMHO.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:24 pm

The Irish Rover is my favorite for fish, but yes, I have to throw my hat in for Arby's, too. Their regular fish sandwich is delicious.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Here's another place that might be interesting: https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle ... w-heights/ I just happen to come across the article about it while reading Insider Louisville this morning.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Mark R. wrote:Here's another place that might be interesting: https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle ... w-heights/ I just happen to come across the article about it while reading Insider Louisville this morning.

Passtime has a terrific fish sandwich. I also have enjoyed the fried bologna sandwich.

Like the article says, it’s a cash only place. I believe they have an ATM on-site.
Next