Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Catholic Church Fish Fries

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Catholic Church Fish Fries

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Tying into Steve's post, I just got an email from DO502 with a list of all of the Catholic fish fries that will be taking place throughout Lent. Here's a link to the webpage for anyone who's interested: http://wfpl.org/heres-2018-guide-louisv ... 9a15104f9c

Unfortunately, it only lists the Catholic churches that some of the other churches from other denominations and also have great fish dinners.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Catholic Church Fish Fries

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Mark R. wrote:Unfortunately, it only lists the Catholic churches that some of the other churches from other denominations and also have great fish dinners.

I know at least two Episcopal churches have Friday fish dinners: St. Mark's on Frankfort Avenue just a couple of blocks east of Porcini, and St. Luke's in Anchorage. Both of them have a couple of features you don't usually find at the Catholic fries: More than one kind of fish, usually a slightly more "gourmet" baked or broiled option to the fried; and, in addition to the usual beer, wine! :mrgreen:
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Just came from St. Marks and according to one parishioner they have “really upped their game.” (He readily attributes their spiffy new look and extras to his female colleagues.) The folks who run this couldn’t be nicer. Also, for forumites who don’t like noisy church basements, this is the place for you. It’s very quiet.

Fried fish was very good and the sides well above the standard fare. They have homemade tartar sauce on the tables along with a remoulade for their baked salmon. FANCY! They have potato wedges and a fresh green salad which you don’t see on a lot of menus.

I know a lot of people have given up sweets but their dessert table might have you rethinking your decision. It featured homemade chocolate chess pie, pound cake with bourbon sauce and a chocolate cake that could win a blue ribbon. You don’t even have to spin a wheel! Just buy a slice. Heaven.

It’s definitely worth a trip. Next week is Good Shepherd. I hear their fish portions are huge. I’ll let you know.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm

The Lions Club in Crestwood does a great fish dinner once the weather turns nice. I think it’s the 2nd Friday of each month. (Not sure and can’t find it on their web site so I will post updated info when I find it.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson