Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

Top Chef is coming to KY

by charles.minter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 pm

I can’t get into 99% of the cooking reality/competition shows but enjoy Top Chef. Unlike the others, its about the cooking not drama created for TV.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/t ... s-kentucky
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Top Chef is coming to KY

by James Natsis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Good news. I also look forward to trying some of our Ky foods listed below by Food and Wine that, I guess, everyone in Ky always eats. I've been here for over 20 years and never or hardly had biscuits, burgoo, sorghum, mutton, country ham, or a hot brown. Maybe I'll get a Davy Crockett hat for the occasion.

"Kentucky is an ideal locale to showcase the region’s cuisine and homegrown products. Beyond bourbon, biscuits, and Hot Browns, there are country hams, sorghum, fried chicken, burgoo, and mutton on the menu, not to mention a growing and thriving restaurant scene, the food and drink-filled Kentucky Derby, and even haunted distilleries (maybe as a sequel to season 15’s The Shining challenge?)."
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 pm

The fact Padma Lakshmi was married to Salman Rushdie gives me hope that a guy that looks like me still has a chance with her.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am

James Natsis wrote:I've been here for over 20 years and never or hardly had biscuits, burgoo, sorghum, mutton, country ham, or a hot brown. Maybe I'll get a Davy Crockett hat for the occasion.

I was under-impressed by the news release for the same reason, James. I'm glad Top Chef is coming, though, and I hope they do a better job of representing the region than Food & Wine did.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:15 am

Here's the Food & Wine report, which covers similar ground ...
http://www.foodandwine.com/news/top-che ... oodandwine
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am

Yeah, this is exciting news for sure. And kudos to Bravo for making the decision, and for their press release. But I think we have to still remind folks that the Lou-Lex dining scene has very little to do with those items. We don't want to be mean, just a little snippy!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:36 am

charles.minter wrote:The fact Padma Lakshmi was married to Salman Rushdie gives me hope that a guy that looks like me still has a chance with her.

Like Rushdie himself said, you’ve got to get some of that fatwa mystique.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJLZRyLuCmc
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:04 pm

I can't watch this show - Padma just really creeps me out...I mean she REALLY creeps me out. :| :| :|
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 pm

What I really love about Top Chef coming here is that they usually highlight a local chef each episode as a guest judge.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm excited about it because I will get to see my hometown sights and see Louisville showcased for the food destination I believe it is. I love every dish mentioned by Food and Wine, especially (Col Newsom's) country ham and a good homemade wild game with squirrel burgoo. I have a feeling the participants will venture beyond those dishes during the season.
As the last season ended they mentioned cooking at the Derby or for a Derby event so I guess they will begin filming in late April. I hope if anyone on the list observes anything they will report to the forum! Maybe Robin will be a guest on the show at one of the larger dinners. Robin - send in your resume'. I bet Ed will make an appearance.
Speaking of the last season of Top Chef -
I hated to see either finalist lose, but I can say that Joe Flamm and his crew prepared my wife and myself the finest Porterhouse I have ever eaten at Spiaggia last fall in Chicago along with a black truffle pasta that was heavenly.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 am

TimT wrote:I'm excited about it because I will get to see my hometown sights and see Louisville showcased for the food destination I believe it is. I love every dish mentioned by Food and Wine, especially (Col Newsom's) country ham and a good homemade wild game with squirrel burgoo. I have a feeling the participants will venture beyond those dishes during the season.
As the last season ended they mentioned cooking at the Derby or for a Derby event so I guess they will begin filming in late April. I hope if anyone on the list observes anything they will report to the forum! Maybe Robin will be a guest on the show at one of the larger dinners. Robin - send in your resume'. I bet Ed will make an appearance.
Speaking of the last season of Top Chef -
I hated to see either finalist lose, but I can say that Joe Flamm and his crew prepared my wife and myself the finest Porterhouse I have ever eaten at Spiaggia last fall in Chicago along with a black truffle pasta that was heavenly.

I'm excited as well. I love Top Chef! And I will say that the last season was probably my favorite so far - just a phenomenal batch of chefs. Talent across the field.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Anyone see anything going on? The Bravo website says that it is currently filming.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 am

I know the crew have been eating at Pho Cafe on Bardstown... :D
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Margie L » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 am

They have good taste!
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 pm

James Natsis wrote: Maybe I'll get a Davy Crockett hat for the occasion.

Sir,, you surely must mean Daniel Boone, not that sissy Crockett, he was from Tennessee. :roll:

Could not resist. :D :D :D
Next