Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Seelbach Oakroom closed ... temporarily, they say.

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm

WDRB-41 News wrote:Seelbach Hotel's Oakroom Restaurant temporarily closed
\
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- One of Louisville's most highly-acclaimed restaurants is temporarily closed.

The Seelbach Hotel's Oakroom is undergoing a "transformation," according to the restaurant's website.

An official statement released by the hotel said,"The Oakroom, located inside the Seelbach Hotel, has been a Louisville landmark since 1907 and will continue that tradition for another 100 years."

"While the Oakroom is temporarily closed for nightly dinner service, the venue remains open for private and corporate events for up to 150 guests and will also continue its legendary Holiday Brunches for Easter, Derby, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas."
http://www.wdrb.com/story/37385913/seel ... ily-closed

For what it's worth, the hotel changed hands just last this month, purchased by Rockbridge, a hotel investment firm.
https://www.hotelmanagement.net/transac ... isville-ky
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Seelbach Oakroom closed ... temporarily, they say.

by Mark R. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

By reading that press release it really doesn't sound like it's undergoing a "Transformation". It sounds like it's just going to become a private party room with the exception of the holiday brunches. It's not really a transformation if we just are not going to use it on a regular basis.

Looks like it's another death in the high-end dining experience is available Louisville as well as a true loss of a historic restaurant.

At least in my opinion we only have one true white tablecloth restaurant left in Louisville and that's the English Grille. There are others that are called white tablecloth but none of them at least in our opinion have service at that level.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Potentially related: The Seelbach lost its fourth AAA diamond.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... ce=twitter
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Potentially related: The Seelbach lost its fourth AAA diamond.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... ce=twitter

:shock:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:35 pm

I saw that article also, certainly looks like the new management of the hotel isn't doing it any favors!

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 pm

Mark R. wrote:...At least in my opinion we only have one true white tablecloth restaurant left in Louisville and that's the English Grille. There are others that are called white tablecloth but none of them at least in our opinion have service at that level.

What about Vincenzo’s? Based on last time there, I would consider it white tablecloth with high end, old school service.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Mark R. wrote:...At least in my opinion we only have one true white tablecloth restaurant left in Louisville and that's the English Grille. There are others that are called white tablecloth but none of them at least in our opinion have service at that level.

What about Vincenzo’s? Based on last time there, I would consider it white tablecloth with high end, old school service.

At least in our opinion Vincenzo’s just doesn't cut it. I put on a good show at least in their opinion but at least a few times we been there level of service was not acceptable by any means for what you are paying. We had a waiter take away our menus before we even ordered, been ignored for 45 minutes, had our meals served cold as well as many other things. Hardly the quality of service that I would consider acceptable for a white tablecloth restaurant.