Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Blue Bull Location on Lime Kiln

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:42 pm

SilvioM wrote:when I worked at the original authentic Louisvuille Mexican restaurant, Chi Chi's!

Fried ice cream! :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:39 am

Awwww...long before Chi chis Louisville had the Chili Bowl And PorQueno. (Where Jack Frys is now).
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:56 am

Carla G wrote:Awwww...long before Chi chis Louisville had the Chili Bowl And PorQueno. (Where Jack Frys is now).

The original Chico's in Hikes Point and the first Tumbleweed in New Albany (and the second on Mellwood) came along about the same time. And don't forget the Old Walnut Chile Parlor, which went back to the 1800s. :D
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Mark R. wrote:Have you ever tried them at Cocina de Mama? At least in my opinion they are the best in town.

Well, I bit the bullet and went to Mama's last week to try the Relleno's...unfortunately those 2 relleno's cost me half my net worth! They did not have any lunch specials that included relleno's and once you have them on the brain...well, I bit the bullet and ordered the only ones on the menu...2 chile relleno's with a serving of rice and beans for $14...food cost was probably $2.50.

The sad part was that the cheese had some sort of smokey flavor to it, that was almost off-putting. I just don't care for this place and it's prices.

Add my usual diet coke and tip and it ran $20.00...too much for a lunch for this old fixed income guy! And to not enjoy it...was a double whammy...trying to look on the bright side though...I guess $20 is a small price to learn the lesson...I won't be back.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:05 am

Well darn, that’s a drag. I seem to remember Mama’s prices to be a bit more than the usual Mexican places but thinking the quality was a bit better. Still, $20 for one person, at lunch, for rellenos ? Yeah, that would be a bit steep for me too. And to not include rellenos on a combination plate? Sounds like a product they’re not to excited about selling. I wouldn’t think the initial cost of making them would be very prohibitive and I don’t think they are much more labor intensive than a tamale or a burrito but...I don’t know.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous