Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Shiraz Mediterranean Grill

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Shiraz Mediterranean Grill

by SilvioM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Never been, curious to know what people think of it as they have a sign on Bardstown Road where The Planet used to be, a few steps from Za's Pizza. Is it a local or regional chain? Quality? Thanks.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Shiraz Mediterranean Grill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Silvio, it was one of the first "Mediterranean" grills around, started by a nice young Iranian guy. At one point they had a number of chains around town, including the charter restaurant in the space in Clifton that now houses Mirin.

Their largest operation was in Holiday Manor, which still exists, and they also have shops on Poplar Level at Trevilian and on Hurstbourne just north of Shelbyville Road.

And, tadaaa, their website says a new location on Bardstown Road is coming this spring, so that's what you saw.

http://ww2.shirazmg.com/

Initiallyl it was very good. I thought it lost a step or two when they expanded, and the one in Clifton slipped enough that it didn't last. But it's certainly competitive in its genre. I'd go to lunch at one of them any time.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:35 pm

The original location was absolutely fantastic (weren't they in a trailer on LowBrow at the very very beginning?) and the food was incredible. Once they expanded, the quality dropped for me, even at the original location in Clifton and I haven't really been back much since. I think we gave them 3 or 4 tries before giving up.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 pm

RonnieD wrote:The original location was absolutely fantastic (weren't they in a trailer on LowBrow at the very very beginning?) and the food was incredible.

Not a trailer, but one of the four little huts in a row on the south side of LowBrow just west of Dirty Kroger. Agreed on all your other points. They had a great tiny concept, but the more it grew, the less it scaled. :(

That said, though, they're still a four-unit local chain 10-plus years later, so they aren't totally messed up.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:26 pm

They baked their own bread when they were in the huts, and it was fantastic. My wife and I used to eat there a few times a month. At some point they switched to a vendor-bought brand, which is when I sort of lost interest. The last time I was there it seemed like they were using bread from Dino's Bakery. The food was always good; we just moved on to something else.