Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Yuengling Beer coming to Kentucky

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Here's the full, unedited press release. What does everyone think of this? I've had Yuengling in South Florida (New Jersey South) and thought it was okay, better than BudCoorsMiller, but no craft beer either.
Yuengling Expands Distribution to Kentucky

Pottsville, PA, January 19, 2018 – D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., America’s Oldest Brewery®, is pleased to announce that it is expanding the distribution of its highly sought after brands to Kentucky, its 22nd state.

Four wholesalers have been assigned to distribute Yuengling products in the state. In March, Yuengling welcomes in their network; Kentucky Eagle, Inc., River City Distributing Inc., Clark Distributing Co., INC and Stagnaro Distributing.

The rollout in March will include Yuengling’s flagship beer, Yuengling Traditional Lager, as well as Light Lager and Black & Tan brands.

"We are thrilled that Yuengling has chosen to partner with River City here in Louisville,” said John Harris, president of River City Distributing. “Our employees and retailers are ecstatic that America's Oldest Brewery will be entering the Kentucky beer market this spring. Their distinctive and delightful beers are certain to enhance the beer drinking landscape in Louisville this March."

"Kentucky Eagle Inc. is very honored to have been chosen the distributor for Yuengling Beer in Central Kentucky. The Yuengling Family Heritage is known for brewing quality beer worldwide. We are so excited to NOW have the opportunity to offer it to our community and in Central Kentucky!" said Ann Bakhaus, owner of Kentucky Eagle, Inc.

“The expansion into the great state of Kentucky is long overdue,” said Dick Yuengling, owner and president of D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc. “We’re thrilled to bring our beer to our patiently-waiting fans who have been requesting our brands for years.”
Kentucky will become the twenty-second state in the brewery’s footprint. Yuengling rolled out distribution in Indiana, its 20th state in March 2017 and recently announced it will distribute brands to Arkansas, its 21st state, in February 2018.

# # #

About D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc.
Based in Pottsville, PA, D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., America's Oldest Brewery, is family-owned and operated since 1829. Soon to be in 22 states, production is supported by two breweries in Pottsville, PA and one in Tampa, FL. Principal beer brands include Traditional Lager, Light Lager, Black & Tan, Premium, Light, Dark Brewed Porter, Lord Chesterfield Ale, and Oktoberfest. For more information about the brewery, tours and merchandise visit http://www.yuengling.com.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Yuengling Beer coming to Kentucky

by Joel F » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm

No, not craft beer. But they stayed the course (Porter!) in the dark ages of American beer.

I like the Lager. I never missed it like I miss something like Allagash or De Koninck. We would grab a case of lager when we were in TN.

The owner's politics have concerned some... (anti-union etc)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 pm

I was just about to ask about it. The Courier has had two articles/promotional pieces about it in the last week. Looking at their options on the website, I'm getting a Sam Adams vibe from it -- perfectly fine, but beneath many and local and national craft options.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Joel F wrote:The owner's politics have concerned some... (anti-union etc)

Yeah, I think he made a significant donation to the Trump campaign. If the beer is good, though, it might be harder to boycott than Coors. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

SilvioM wrote:... I'm getting a Sam Adams vibe from it -- perfectly fine, but beneath many and local and national craft options.

My recollection of it from Florida memories is that that's a pretty good summation, Silvio. It wasn't spectacular, but good enough that I was happy to call for a second round with our pizza.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:43 am

My assessment mirror's Robin's. Better than Bud, Coors, etc. but nothing "special." I do sort of view it the way I view Sam Adams....if that's the best I can find I will drink it, and not hate it, but it's pretty forgettable.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 am

I like it because it's generally near the Bud/Miller/Coors price point but far more drinkable. Good budget beer.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Yuengling Brewing is the poster child for right-wing owned ANTI-Union businesses. I'm serious when I say that I won't even sit at the same table as a person drinking this pig-swill.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm

Steve P wrote:Yuengling Brewing is the poster child for right-wing owned ANTI-Union businesses. I'm serious when I say that I won't even sit at the same table as a person drinking this pig-swill.

Agreed, but doesn't Coors and its squadron of labels join Yuengling at the Table of Hate?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:Yuengling Brewing is the poster child for right-wing owned ANTI-Union businesses. I'm serious when I say that I won't even sit at the same table as a person drinking this pig-swill.

Agreed, but doesn't Coors and its squadron of labels join Yuengling at the Table of Hate?

Coors and the Teamsters came to an agreement in (I think it was) the early 90's to vote on the (re) unionization of Coors - This after Coors busted the union in -I think it was- the early 80's. At the conclusion of the vote the workers had rejected the union (IMHO primarily because of Coors expansion into strongly anti-union strongholds). While I don't necessarily agree with the results, I respect the right of the employees to reject the union. I WILL sit at the same table as a Coor's drinker...bit I won't like it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
User

Adriel Gray