Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

A disappointing evening at Mitchell's Fish Market

by Bill Veneman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Roommate John and I went to Mitchell's over in the Summit this past Friday. I am going to open this post by saying that it is VERY unusual for me to go to anything that has any semblance of a chain attached to it. Went for dinner there when I found that one of my favorite servers was on the floor. Made my reservation several days in advance.

Arrived a few minutes early and was told that my table was not ready. Strike #1...when I make a reservation, I expect to be seated when I arrive. All my local haunts have spoiled me to this point, not that that's a bad thing :P

When finally seated, we were warmly greeted by Tommy (the afore mentioned server) and after requisite pleasantries, placed our drink order (kudos to the bartender for getting my Woodford Old Fashioned perfectly made) and then our food order of apps/salad and main course for each of us.

My dining companion and I were well involved in our conversation when the food runner showed up with our main courses, no app/salad had been served (strike #2). Since were both rather hungry, we had them nix the app/salad course. The manager came out and explained that there was a disconnect in the kitchen (well, DUH). As a positive to this little OOPS, the food that was served was well prepared and presented...we both cleaned our plates!

Time for dessert....which we order, plus I ordered a dessert coffee (The Luxury) which came with whipped cream on top....well, when I went to stir the whipped cream into the coffee, it curdled (strike #3)! I wound up just having a lovely Port with my Key Lime pie.

I have always been one to give someplace a couple of tries to get it right. And this will not be an exception to that practice. Tommy did a fantastic job of keeping the evening flowing and light!

Mitchell's is a chain. And the events of this particular evening reaffirm my disdain of chain restaurants...with a couple of exceptions.

I will give Mitchell's one more (cautious) try. I've also shared this experience with several other of Tommy's followers as a heads-up if there should venture over that way!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: A disappointing evening at Mitchell's Fish Market

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:38 pm

Mitchell's has been going downhill (imo) ever since Landry's bought it. (which is strange, because we kind of like Landry's Seafood Restaurant, despite the fact that it's a chain.)

I used to love going to Mitchell's even though I don't like seafood because the food was so well prepared and the service was always on point. I even went for my birthday one year! I wish they could get back to where they used to be, as it was nice having a restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and delicious food so near our home.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:50 pm

We had had problems with Mitchell's almost from the beginning (e.g.: pasta with "white wine sauce" comes covered with Alfredo, because "our alfredo is white and has wine added"), and I had high hopes when it was bought by Landry's; after all, Landry's owns McCormick and Schmick, Oceanaire, Morton's, Landry's Seafood, and Mastro's Steakhouse among others.

Our experience since has been similar to yours; what food comes out is good, but not exceptional, and still the descriptions do not always match what you get.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

brian.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 pm

by brian.evans » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Mitchell's was a favorite of ours since it first opened in the then-Summit. However, we have found in recent years that dinner service can be uneven. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it happened after Landry's took over, but that's been our experience nonetheless. We still go, but usually for lunch on the weekends. We've had uniformly good experiences there for lunch.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:28 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote: (e.g.: pasta with "white wine sauce" comes covered with Alfredo, because "our alfredo is white and has wine added"),.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't order the black-eyed peas!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY