Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bradley W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Re: Blue Bull Location on Lime Kiln

by Bradley W » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 am

Based on a couple of visits I'm going to guess no to real crab meat. This is a very nice addition to the area, though. I would rate the food a step above El Nopal and a bit below Cocina de Mama. I know there are mixed feelings about El Nopal - but I mean that as a compliment. They did a great job with the space and the service has been wonderful on both visits. The one knock I have is that on the initial visit, and this was only a day or two after opening, the margarita was pretty bland. Maybe they just didn't have their mix quite right that evening. One so-so margarita will not deter me - I will certainly be trying it again soon and hopefully report back differently. If you are in the area you should give Mi Tierra a shot.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:12 pm

I live just around the corner from Mi Tierra, and paid my first visit for a late 2:30 lunch on Thursday the 28th. The lunch specials are good until 3 p.m. so I opted for my all-time favorite...fajitas...I normally get chicken, but was chickened out after making vegetable/chicken soup over the past week, so I opted for steak.

Mexican is my favorite cuisine, but they all seem the same these days (except for the authentic ones on Preston), and Mi Tierra was no different. Complimentary chips and non distinguished salsa (always have to add the hot table sauce). Diet coke was carbonated just right (thumbs up for that)...and the steak was moist, tender, and flavorful. Not enough onions and NO tomatoes on the grill plate.

Price was in the ball park of El Nopal ($9.99 for the steak or chicken fajitas), but not much different than 5 others you may have been to...the biggest plus for me is the location...10-15 minutes closer than either of the 2 El Nopals that are/were my staples.

I will be back to check out the chile rellenos.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Jerry please do let us know about their Chili Rellenos. I still haven’t had any in town that were much of anything. Would love to find some good ones.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Carla G wrote:Jerry please do let us know about their Chili Rellenos. I still haven’t had any in town that were much of anything. Would love to find some good ones.

Have you ever tried them at Cocina de Mama? At least in my opinion they are the best in town.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:19 pm

I’ve been there and, at this time, it’s my favorite Mexican but I have not tried their rellenos.
Next trip!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:58 pm

I just can't bring myself to go to a place that "nickles and dimes" you for small side items...Mama charged me a buck for a tablespoon of sour cream, and wanted another buck for the same amount of guac, and another buck for the same amount of pico de gallo, and the lettuce, and the cheese...the $7.99 (now $8.75) lunch fajita was going to cost me $13...

see my April 2016 visit...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23457&p=178454&hilit=Cocina+de+Mama#p178454

Can anyone tell me if they changed this policy?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:18 am

Jerry C wrote:I just can't bring myself to go to a place that "nickles and dimes" you for small side items...Mama charged me a buck for a tablespoon of sour cream, and wanted another buck for the same amount of guac, and another buck for the same amount of pico de gallo, and the lettuce, and the cheese...the $7.99 (now $8.75) lunch fajita was going to cost me $13...
Can anyone tell me if they changed this policy?

Every Mexican restaurant we've been to in town charges you for extras such as sour cream, guacamole etc. offer additional if some is included with the dish. It bugs me to but it seems to be the norm and the price seems to be the same at all of them for the same amount of the item. Also, I'm sure you have the same problem, I never give you enough tortillas for all the meat and vegetables they give you when you buy fajitas so you either eat some of it without tortillas all end up buying another pack of tortillas for a dollar!

User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Every Mexican restaurant we've been to in town charges you for extras such as sour cream, guacamole etc. offer additional if some is included with the dish.

I'm with you Mark, but Mama's is the only mexican restaurant that I have been to where they didn't supply the small side dish of sour cream, guac, pico, lettuce and cheese...with the entree...Mama's wanted an extra $5 for it! And because of that I have not been back since my initial visit in April 2016...call me a tightwad, but when I can get those items as part of my meal at all other mexican restaurants, I'll hold off until they change that policy.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:25 pm

That might be the case because that’s a cheap fajita to begin with. At La Tierra and El Mojacita, most of those things are included, but for a fajita of about $12, close to the Mama price after the add-ons. I’d prefer to pay it up for front.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 pm

SilvioM wrote:That might be the case because that’s a cheap fajita to begin with. At La Tierra and El Mojacita, most of those things are included, but for a fajita of about $12, close to the Mama price after the add-ons. I’d prefer to pay it up for front.

The advantages that if you don't want all of the additional side items with your fajitas you don't need to purchase them. The other places if you don't get them you still pay for them.

User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:13 pm

That might be the case because that’s a cheap fajita to begin with. At La Tierra and El Mojacita, most of those things are included, but for a fajita of about $12

Remember Silvio, I am talking about the lunch "special" pricing...I agree that $12 is closer to the norm for a dinner entree, but most lunch specials for fajitas that I have seen are $8-10.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 pm

if you don't want all of the additional side items with your fajitas

Blasphemy! It ain't fajitas without at least sour cream and pico de gallo!..I prefer to add it all...guac, cheese, and lettuce also...LOL :lol:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Jerry C wrote:
Remember Silvio, I am talking about the lunch "special" pricing...I agree that $12 is closer to the norm for a dinner entree, but most lunch specials for fajitas that I have seen are $8-10.

I see, thanks for pointing that out. Their dinner fajita includes a full compliment of toppings while the lunch one does not. At Mi Tierra, full toppings are provided with lunch and dinner, so I see the issue. Fajitas aren't the same without those toppings -- which we always provided when I worked at the original authentic Louisvuille Mexican restaurant, Chi Chi's! (j/k about the "authentic" part)
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:17 pm

which we always provided when I worked at the original authentic Louisvuille Mexican restaurant, Chi Chi's!

I worked at the Chi-Chi's corporate office for 14 years...those were the days (1982-1996). Chi-Chi's took a little literary license and called theirs "Chajitas".

Were you there when Ron Grabowski (director of new products) introduced the best ever entree?...the twice grilled BBQ Burrito!!!

Like I said "those were the days".

We used to laugh and say that Chi-Chi's taught the midwest that ketchup was salsa!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Ah yes, I forgot -- Chahitas. I worked at the Bashford Manor spot in the 80's, back when the area Mexican choices were Chi-Chi's (A Celebration of Food!) and Tumbleweed. I'm glad times have changed, but it was a fun job for a teen.
PreviousNext