Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Santa Fe Grill vs El Molcajete?

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 am

Have any of you been to Santa Fe Grill lately? We were out in the South End Saturday and I got the idea of checking it out for the first time in a long time, since we almost always go to El Molcajete due to its excellence. My first thought was that they've really fixed up the interior. Lots more tables, and more of a dining room rather than a takeout counter with just a few tables. Bright and clean, decorated for Christmas. We really found the food kind of disappointing, though. Not actively bad, but consistently "meh." If others agree with this finding, do you think it's gone downhill, or just that we didn't have El Molcajete to compare it with before? I kind of hate to report this, but the difference is striking enough that I feel a need to put it out there and see if others agree.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Santa Fe Grill vs El Molcajete?

by Adrian Baldwin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Santa Fe hasn't felt as special in many years now that you can get good "taqueria" style tacos all over town. During it's prime, it seemed like one of the few places outside of Preston Hwy for that style of food.

Also always bugged me that they served cheap Bagged Round Tortilla chips at the table.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 pm

I feel the same as Adrian. Granted I haven’t been since like 2013, but Santa Fe has always seemed pretty lackluster.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I'll third the above comments. I can't speak to their histories, as my first visits to both were in the last year, but I've made two return trips to the area, both to El. Nothing about Sante Fe struck me as being at all special.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:09 pm

For another good, if slightly different, taqueria option in that general area, check out Bandido Taqueria Mexicana on University Blvd, just the other side of UofL's campus and I-65.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:For another good, if slightly different, taqueria option in that general area, check out Bandido Taqueria Mexicana on University Blvd, just the other side of UofL's campus and I-65.

I've heard good things, Jeff. Need to get over there!
https://www.facebook.com/BandidoTaqueriaMexicana/
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Clicked on the link to see where they are located. They need to fix the map on their Facebook page. It places them near Zorn and Brownsboro.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am

SilvioM wrote:Clicked on the link to see where they are located. They need to fix the map on their Facebook page. It places them near Zorn and Brownsboro.

Okay, this is really weird. I don't think it was like that yesterday. I'm guessing that's one of the principals' home address, but it's strange for sure.
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:05 pm

El Molcajete is pretty consistently the best Mexican in town to me. I'd rank Santa Fe below Bandido and even Senor Iguanas. One small knock on El Molcajete is that the food seems to be better at lunch than at dinner.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:05 pm

With all this talk about Mexican restaurants I never hear anybody talking about Cocina de Mama which we really enjoy. I realize it's outside of the Waterson which means many of you would need your passport renewed to get to it but it's worth the trip. The one we go to is on Hurstbourne Parkway at Westport Road but they also have one in Shelbyville.

We've really like everything we've tried there. I especially like their Chili Rellenos although quite often I have their specials which are always good and usually quite a bargain.

I forgot to add that there Salsa some of the best I've ever had and that includes some very good Salsa we had in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. It's probably a good lay don't sell it because we would go broke buying it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 pm

El Molcajete is top 5 in the city for me, no question. Also seconding Bandido's, and heck, Coconut Beach is basically in the same neighborhood too. Santa Fe, while the service is friendly, just isn't as good as those options.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 pm

I just have to step in to defend Sante Fe's tacos and their tomatillo salsa to put on them. Just as good as anything around at a good price.

Yes their chips and salsa are mediocre, but then again, there's no temptation to eat too many of them.