Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Private Room - Rental Fee

User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

Private Room - Rental Fee

by Scott Hack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm doing a conference in January of 2018. I have 15 speakers speaking over 2 days and 4 different sponsors. The speakers are from 11 different states. We're a smaller conference. Total attendance with speakers is about 100 people. The speakers are all attending on their own dime for travel and hotel. As a thank you to the speakers, we are taking the speakers and sponsors out to a dinner on the night before the conference. I'm a pizza guy. So I was excited about taking everyone to a local pizza place.

I guess the economy is doing really well. Because they want to charge us $100 just for the private room. Which is absurd. I wanted to bring about 25 to 30 people in and I guess spend about $350 to $450 I guess for dinner plus a tip for their staff. I can't imagine paying almost 20% of our total budget just for the privileged of eating somewhere.

Am I completely out of touch? Is this normal?
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

Re: Private Room - Rental Fee

by Clay Cundiff » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:21 pm

That seems pretty reasonable to me. If you want a private room, they won't be generating any revenue from any unused seats, and a large private party is likely going to be there for a while, which prevents them from turning the tables.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I’m wondering what pizza place has a private room that will accommodate 30 people.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Coals? Maybe one of the Impellizzeri's?
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes, I'm thinking Coal's as well. Although I had approached them a couple of years ago asking about a room for a party of about 35 and this is what was told to me: "The best way to quote you is with minimums. St Matthews restaurant is 800.00 for a weekend night and 300.00 any other time. Middletown is 1000.00 on a weekend night and 400.00 any other time. So, you just have to meet the minimum to not incur a room charge. If you don't meet the minimum we will sell you a gift card in the amount that meets that amount. Both food and drink is counted towards the minimum. In addition a 20% gratuity will be added to the minimums.

For more information you can follow this link: http://coalsartisanpizza.com/private-room/"

So, this is what the deal was a couple of years ago. Maybe it's changed?
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Sorry, I left the name of the place out of the post on purpose because I didn't necessarily won't to make it about the place. But in hindsight, I gave too much detail, and without naming the place I'm worried other places could be speculated about. So... It was Impellizzeri's downtown. Food and drink minimums or a deposit that would have been credited on our bill would have been fine for me. The charge simply for the charge is what I take issue with. I know when I owned my pizza restaurant I would have been ecstatic to have a large group want to reserve space. The dinner is taking place on a Wed night. There isn't a home basketball game that night. So the likelihood of turning the tables seems pretty low, but that isn't a point I had considered Clay.
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Coals is really good! You may want to consider having the event there!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Another consideration is location, where the campers going to be held and where will the guests be staying? The party room at Coals is really nice and has more than enough room for the site group you're talking about. The problem is that it's in Middletown which is a long way if they are staying downtown. I don't think the room at their St. Matthew's location is big enough for your group.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:56 am

If pizza isn't a deal-breaker, Scott, Corner Cafe has three private rooms that can be used in combination. A group of 100 might still be an issue, but I imagine that they're flexible on price. Nice folks. If you talk to Robert Frederick, tell him I sent you.
no avatar
User

todd.turner

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm

by todd.turner » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:17 pm

New upstairs space at Butchertown Pizza Hall might work.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:If pizza isn't a deal-breaker, Scott, Corner Cafe has three private rooms that can be used in combination. A group of 100 might still be an issue, but I imagine that they're flexible on price. Nice folks. If you talk to Robert Frederick, tell him I sent you.

PS: They do have pizza, of course! But not primarily a pizzeria.
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

I just wanted to post an update for this. After I posted this, Allan Rosenberg with Butchertown Pizza Hall invited my wife and I to come check out his space. So a few weeks ago we stopped in before they opened and did a quick tour with Allan's wife Shelly. If you haven't been, go check the place out!

The upstairs space they have put together was a perfect fit for what I wanted to offer my out of town guests. As my wife put it... it is a nice "grown up" space in a comfortable and approachable setting. As expected from my previous experiences where Allan has been involved and his reputation, the pizza was awesome and my guests literally were writing home to their spouses telling them about it.

It was nice to spend money in a local establishment showcasing to my guests why I love Louisville. The space upstairs also has a stage and a projector that can hooked up to a computer if you need to do a presentation.

I just wanted to give a big public thanks to Allan and his team at The Butchertown Pizza Hall for making me and my wife look good and allowing us to proudly showcase the city we love.
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks for posting about your experience! We certainly got that place on our radar but haven't made it down there yet. Looks like we need to move it up a little on the list.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"