Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

The Impossible Burger at Morels Cafe. Yeah, it’s impossible.

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 am

The Impossible Burger at Morels Cafe. Yeah, it’s impossible.

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The Impossible steakhouse burger at Morels, with A1 sauce, Violife vegan mozzarella, and onion straws, with a side of vegan chicken Caesar salad.

You’ve probably heard of the Impossible Burger, the heavily capitalized, much publicized meat-free burger that’s so much like the real thing that you can cook it rare and watch it bleed. It’s not animal blood, of course, but a soybean protein called leghemoglobin, “heme” for short, plant-based cousin to animal hemoglobin.

Like competitor Beyond Meat, which also boasts big-name investors, the folks at Impossible Foods aren’t just trying to serve a vegan market. They're looking at a future world where animal agriculture isn't sustainable, and trying to come up with something that’s sustainable, plant-based, and so deliciously like the original that people won't even miss meatburgers.

Until recently the Impossible Burger has been available only in select restaurants in major cities, like David Chang’s hip Momofuku Nishi in New York. Now it has landed in Louisville at Stanley Chase’s Morel’s Cafe (619 Baxter Ave., 409-5916), on the menu as the Steakhouse Burger ($14 with the Impossible Burger, $12 with a Beyond Meat Beast Burger), loaded with vegan mozzarella and A1 sauce.

I can testify: That thing is freaking amazing. It’s plant-based and meat-free, but it tastes like good ground beef.  It’s the most “meaty’ meat-free burger I've ever eaten, right on in its flavor, texture, color, even the pink juice.

Try it. You’ll love it, and Mother Earth will, too.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/impos ... impossible

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: The Impossible Burger at Morels Cafe. Yeah, it’s impossi

by Stephen D » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am

I'm sold.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm

I am partial as I sell this product to them, but it is pretty darn good. I never understood the reason why you would want to try and recreate a meat taste if you were a vegan but this is geared to meat eaters that want to eat a sustainable product.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Will Crawford wrote:I am partial as I sell this product to them, but it is pretty darn good. I never understood the reason why you would want to try and recreate a meat taste if you were a vegan but this is geared to meat eaters that want to eat a sustainable product.

I'm really surprised to hear that coming from a guy who sells the product, Will. (I didn't know that, by the way!) You seem to be assuming that people become vegetarian or vegan because they dislike meat or because it grosses them out. Actually, I think a substantial proportion shun meat because of sustainability, environmental, animal-welfare reasons or many other reasons not involving distaste. A person who grew up eating meat and enjoying the flavor would be delighted to get a plant-based product that recreates the familiar flavor without doing damage to the environment or to an animal. I really don't understand what's so complicated about this.

Can you tell us any places other than Morels that are selling the Impossible Burger now, by the way? Best wishes on this venture!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:21 pm

These burgers sound interesting and even though I'm not a vegetarian in any sense of the word I think I'll end up trying went to see how I like them. I tried many other "meat substitute" burgers etc. but while some of them have tasted reasonably good they all fall short in my opinion and texture. As we all know eating is just as much about texture as it is flavor and I've yet to see a meat substitute product that had the proper texture. To those who have tried these what is the texture like?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:56 am

In my opinion, it chews like meat, Mark.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:In my opinion, it chews like meat, Mark.

Thanks, I was planning on trying one anyway but that makes it even more interesting.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Will Crawford wrote:I am partial as I sell this product to them, but it is pretty darn good. I never understood the reason why you would want to try and recreate a meat taste if you were a vegan but this is geared to meat eaters that want to eat a sustainable product.

I'm really surprised to hear that coming from a guy who sells the product, Will. (I didn't know that, by the way!) You seem to be assuming that people become vegetarian or vegan because they dislike meat or because it grosses them out. Actually, I think a substantial proportion shun meat because of sustainability, environmental, animal-welfare reasons or many other reasons not involving distaste. A person who grew up eating meat and enjoying the flavor would be delighted to get a plant-based product that recreates the familiar flavor without doing damage to the environment or to an animal. I really don't understand what's so complicated about this.

Can you tell us any places other than Morels that are selling the Impossible Burger now, by the way? Best wishes on this venture!

So far Morels is the only place in town using this product.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Will Crawford wrote:So far Morels is the only place in town using this product.

Thanks, Will!
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Will: Are there plans to sell it retail in grocery stores or specialty shops?
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Jon K wrote:

Will: Are there plans to sell it retail in grocery stores or specialty shops?

Jon, I am working on it. One way to help,is to have the store or restaurant go to https://www.demandimpossible.com and request it.
Will Crawford