Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Lex makes Zagat list of top 30 most exciting food cities

by Joel F » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:02 am

(locations are linked in the original article)

No. 26: Lexington, KY

Louisville’s smaller, lesser-visited neighbor, is finally starting to compete in the food arena (it already puts up a strong fight for horses and bourbon). This year the city got Kentucky’s first food hall, The Barn, with an all-local, all-independent lineup including craft ice cream at Crank & Boom, pasture-raised fried chicken at Pasture by Marksbury Farm, and Japanese ramen at Atomic Ramen (from MasterChef star Dan Wu). Also in the same complex is James Beard Award semifinalist chef Ouita Michel’s latest project, Honeywood. (Michel has six other restaurants in the city and is the chef-in-residence at Woodford Reserve Distillery.) Other hot openings include the Latin-infused Corto Lima from James Beard Award–nominated chef Jonathan Lundy and the city’s very own Shake Shack. Beloved upscale mainstay Dudley’s on Short was selected for one of Southern Living’s Best in the South awards this year and on the bourbon front, Bluegrass Tavern, Belle’s Cocktail House, The Paddock Bar and Patio, Parlay Social and Old Bourbon County Kitchen were all named on Bourbon Review’s list of the top 99 bourbon bars in the country. After all, bourbon is still king here.

​—Devorah Lev-Tov

https://www.zagat.com/b/30-most-excitin ... erica-2017
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Lex makes Zagat list of top 30 most exciting food cities

by James Natsis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Louisville is not even listed in a top 30? Are you kidding?
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 pm

James Natsis wrote:Louisville is not even listed in a top 30? Are you kidding?

I certainly have to agree with that sentiment. I've been to most of the cities that made this list and quite a few of the ones that are in the lower part of the list don't have any variety of cuisines like Louisville does. They may do one thing very well at several restaurants but they don't have the range of cuisines and cost points that restaurants in Louisville do. I think this list is just like many others in that it's put out to gain attention to both the magazine and to certain cities and really the bottom line is nobody can determine how good the food in the city is unless they live there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 am

I'm probably more surprised that Lexington is on the list than Louisville is not.
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am

Boy, Louisville folks do fill their diapers up when Lexington gets recognition and Louisville does not...
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

This reads more of an ad for the new Summit at Fritz Farm, than a real look at Lexington cuisine. Consider that more than half the venues mentioned share one large parking lot. Not that I'm complaining, I make many deliveries with one easy stop. :D