Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Dried beans help please

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Dried beans help please

by Kim H » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 pm

I haven't worked with dried beans in some time, but am planning on making pintos and cornbread for the hubby. I soaked the beans for about 12 hours, and then realized I don't have everything I want to make them with. I drained and rinsed them, and then put them in a container in the fridge. Will these be ok to cook on Mon (I soaked them last night/Fri night), or should I avoid the chance of mush or worse, and start over? They're inexpensive, and we have to go to the store anyway, but I still hate unnecessary waste. TIA!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Dried beans help please

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Kim, they'll be fine. Beans are pretty indestructible. :) I often make a lunch by sauteing some onions and garlic, throwing in a bunch of cooked dried beans with their juices, S&P to taste and maybe some hot stuff or chile powder. It doesn't really take any more than that. Or beans, S&P and mix with an equal quantity of rice. You don't really have to do much to make beans good.

And then spend some time with the heirloom beans on http://www.ranchogordo.com, and if the prices don't put you off (it's really not that bad) discover some of the best beans ever.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks, Robin! I knew I could count on you, for this question in particular. But I didn't cook the beans, just soaked, rinsed/drained and refrigerated. I read some things online about oversoaking them, so I got concerned. I've never soaked them and saved them uncooked. :? Think they'll still be ok?
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Oh, and I'm fascinated with those heirloom beans! Prob have to check some out after the holidays. Thx!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 pm

I did misunderstand, Kim. I do think they'll still be okay, though. You did the right thing by putting them in the fridge, and probably by draining them too.

I think Rancho Gordo is really worth it, but be warned that they have a funny shipping policy: It's a flat rate, $12, to ship anywhere east of the Rockies (they're in the Bay Area), but it's free if you order more than $75. So if you buy one bag for $5.95, the shipping is stupid. Since I love them, I generally buy a dozen at a time to get them free.

Also, when you can get beans at Kroger for 89 cents a bag, some people feel sticker shock at the $5.95 to $6.95 price. I figure that a bag is good for maybe a half-dozen meals, and that's a lot cheaper than meat. :)

Finally, dry beans are now the No. 1 reason I'm glad I got an Instant Pot. It's an amazing bean cooker.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 am

I may still try some, but we're not big bean eaters, so that option may lend itself to a particular recipe or simply curiosity. But I love that it's an option, thx again!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Just updating on this if anyone is interested. I had the soaked beans, drained/rinsed them, and kept than a container in the fridge for 4 nights. They cooked up great! It's actually an idea I might keep in my back pocket. Soak some beans ahead of time and keep ready in the fridge. :-)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 am

Good to know! Thanks for the report, Kim ...