Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Spanakopita - Where to buy ?

by Steve P » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 am

Anyone know where I can purchase some good locally made Spanakopita ??? Preferably east side suburbia...

Thanks
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Spanakopita - Where to buy ?

by Steve H » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 pm

More seriously, that sounds like something Trader Joe might have frozen in a box.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Lotsa Pasta has a frozen brand as well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Robin F. wrote:Lotsa Pasta has a frozen brand as well.

I never noticed that!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 pm

There is always the quick and easy DIY approach.

https://www.lemonsforlulu.com/spanakopi ... -and-easy/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Robin F. wrote:Lotsa Pasta has a frozen brand as well.

Trying to save time and energy on Christmas Eve/Day - Lotsa Pasta it is. Thank you.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 am

Trader Joe's sells it, and it's totally great!

As far as restaurants/delis, I rather like the ones at Alwatan and Little Greek.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 am

michael.powell wrote:Trader Joe's sells it, and it's totally great!

As far as restaurants/delis, I rather like the ones at Alwatan and Little Greek.

Little Greek (where)
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Little Greek (where)

It's in Shelbyville Rd., Plaza on the backside right next to Jason's Deli. We definitely agree with the others that it's probably got some of the best Greek food including Spanakopita in town.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:Little Greek (where)

It's in Shelbyville Rd., Plaza on the backside right next to Jason's Deli. We definitely agree with the others that it's probably got some of the best Greek food including Spanakopita in town.

Its a national franchise with a bonafide Greek person nowhere in site behind the counter, at least not when I went there for my one and only time. Too bad we've been reduced to Taziki's and Little Greek when it comes to Greek fare in town.
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm

James Natsis wrote: Its a national franchise with a bonafide Greek person nowhere in site behind the counter, at least not when I went there for my one and only time. Too bad we've been reduced to Taziki's and Little Greek when it comes to Greek fare in town.

Yes, it is a national franchise, although a very small one with units only in 6 states at this time, but the majority of their food other than salad dressings and pitas made in the local store. It's certainly better and more authentic than Taziki's but as you pointed out filling out a true Greek restaurant which we unfortunately don't have locally.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Mark R. wrote:
James Natsis wrote: Its a national franchise with a bonafide Greek person nowhere in site behind the counter, at least not when I went there for my one and only time. Too bad we've been reduced to Taziki's and Little Greek when it comes to Greek fare in town.

Yes, it is a national franchise, although a very small one with units only in 6 states at this time, but the majority of their food other than salad dressings and pitas made in the local store. It's certainly better and more authentic than Taziki's but as you pointed out filling out a true Greek restaurant which we unfortunately don't have locally.

I hear ya, Mark. These places are fine for moderately priced, fast casual fare that falls within a certain theme. But they are not inspiring enough to serve as destination spots, at least not for me in a city like Louisville with such a large selection of eclectic, creative choices.

I'm a pure-blooded Greek-American who has obviously been spoiled, especially coming from an older generation when Greeks were still immigrating, and growing up in a city like St. Louis where there were a lot of them (not to even mention spending many months in the old country as well).

I actually find it embarassing that in such a foodie city as ours there is not even a restaurant that serves downhome Greek food, or even Turkish food for that matter. One would think that with all of the great chefs and culinary creative types that someone would craft such a concept. The place doesn't have to be run by Greeks (or Turks). It just needs people who understand the essence of the food.
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Just saw a clip that Consumer Reports listed Kirkland brand (from Costco) some of the best frozen spanakopita.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 pm

James Natsis wrote:
Mark R. wrote:

I hear ya, Mark. These places are fine for moderately priced, fast casual fare that falls within a certain theme. But they are not inspiring enough to serve as destination spots, at least not for me in a city like Louisville with such a large selection of eclectic, creative choices.

I'm a pure-blooded Greek-American who has obviously been spoiled, especially coming from an older generation when Greeks were still immigrating, and growing up in a city like St. Louis where there were a lot of them (not to even mention spending many months in the old country as well).

I actually find it embarassing that in such a foodie city as ours there is not even a restaurant that serves downhome Greek food, or even Turkish food for that matter. One would think that with all of the great chefs and culinary creative types that someone would craft such a concept. The place doesn't have to be run by Greeks (or Turks). It just needs people who understand the essence of the food.

No love for Falafel House or Safier (both of which are family owned and operated)??
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
Next