Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Oskar’s Slider Bar

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Just read an article in Inside Louisville about a new bar opening next week called Oskar's Slider Bar. The owners' are describing it as a “Nordic/Minnesota/Wisconsin dive bar.” All I can say is "Uff da!"
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Oskar’s Slider Bar

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Gayle, it's run by Liz and Jesse Huot of Grind Burger Kitchen, who are both of Scandinavian heritage. Can't wait to try it out!
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Suzi, Eddy and I were at Oskar's last evening. OMG good stuff.

Wisconsin Old Fashion... You have to try it.

Suzi had gravlax on rye krisps... Eddy had lefse (Norwegian flatbread) tacos... I had Chicken slider...All of us had a Cheese Burger Slider - it's how you measure what Jesse does - his beef products.

Suzi and I had lettuce wedge salad... Eddy had French Fries.... the Gravlax and Lefse are house made.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Should have their liquor license by the time you read this.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:35 pm

RichardM wrote:Suzi, Eddy and I were at Oskar's last evening. OMG good stuff.

Wisconsin Old Fashion... You have to try it.

Suzi had gravlax on rye krisps... Eddy had lefse (Norwegian flatbread) tacos... I had Chicken slider...All of us had a Cheese Burger Slider - it's how you measure what Jesse does - his beef products.

Suzi and I had lettuce wedge salad... Eddy had French Fries.... the Gravlax and Lefse are house made.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Should have their liquor license by the time you read this.

Richard

Glad to hear you liked it — I’ve been looking forward to this one. I drove by last night and saw the lights on, but assumed they were just putting on the final touches. Are they officially open to the public or was this a friend/colleague-type deal?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Wonderfully decorated and branded.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:22 pm

OMG, lefse! I'm in Norske heaven!

If anyone wants to borrow an elctric lefse griddle, to try making a homemade version, contact me. I have the lefse turner also and several recipes, including my grandmother's from the 40's.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:50 pm

So are they going to be serving lutefisk during the Christmas holidays?
User

David Swanson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm

by David Swanson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 am

Gayle DeM wrote:So are they going to be serving lutefisk during the Christmas holidays?

To some, a treat from the old days. To the rest of us, fish jello. I didn't record this but I might as well have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob8mw6kjxX8

I may inquire about the lefse griddle.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:54 pm

I stopped by last night but was turned away. The place does look nice. Wound up getting some jerk chicken wings at Caribbean Cafe, which were quite good! I look forward to checking out Oskar next week.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:So are they going to be serving lutefisk during the Christmas holidays?

Probably not this year, but Liz told us they want to do some special Nordic dinners and a Yule Board next Christmas.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 pm

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

We went yesterday — I like it a lot already. The space is nice; it has a hip upper midwestern/Scandinavian rec room vibe. I tried the cheeseburger slider (a lot like Grind’s cheeseburger, but small), the short rib slider, the kale salad, and the lingonberry meatballs. All were good. I assumed the meatballs would be a slider, too, but they weren’t. I am curious about the lamb and lefse taco and some of the aquavit cocktails. Anyway, I can’t say the food is better or worse than Grind — obviously on par — but the fact that sliders are small does give you some freedom to try multiple things, which I appreciated. It’s nice to have the place right nearby again since Grind moved away from their original location. But it definitely feels more like a place I’d like to get a drink than Grind.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Do they have wait staff or do you order at the counter like Grind, New Wave, Royals, etc.?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:13 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Do they have wait staff or do you order at the counter like Grind, New Wave, Royals, etc.?

They have wait staff.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm

They had a nice promo article in the CJ -- fluff, but good for their business, I hope. Still no menu on their website, I'm curious to see what it looks like, as it appears that the variety will be wider than Grind's.
Next