Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

ROC Restaurant?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

ROC Restaurant?

by Deb Hall » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Has anyone been to ROC on Bardstown Road and willing to share their experience? Despite being open more than 6 months, I couldn't find any mentions here with search. We've been meaning to go as it's in our 'hood, but haven't heard anything one way or the other...

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: ROC Restaurant?

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm

We were there a week after it opened, so were reluctant to post opinions.

In brief, we had mixed emotions; several dishes were exceptional, but higher priced than (for example) Ciao, which was pretty equal in quality. Other dishes were adequate, certainly good but nothing to write home about.

Even after a week it seemed like a true "neighborhood" place, as most people coming in worked the crowd and greeted everyone before sitting down. Even the wait staff greeted regulars, making us feel somewhat out of things.

We decided to try again in a month or two, but with many decent Italian places in town we've never made it back. If you go, let us know what you think now!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Kind of mixed feelings, as I reported in June, and Andrew's observations are very much like mine.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/roc-r ... food-drink
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:23 pm

PS: There's a funky little bug in search ... it often will fail on searches for words of less than four letters. <sob>
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:48 pm

To jump on the “meh” bandwagon, I was also there during their first week and nothing I had was worth returning to put up with the decibels.

However, I am curious about the grilled octopus because it looked great. I may have to give them one more chance, but only during a slower time.

Edit: Never mind, I don't see it on the menu.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am

Haven't been but it's crazy to me that a restaurant would put their menu online with no pricing. Lots of artistic food photography but no pricing. Their facebook page has a menu with pricing, but it does not match the menu posted on their website, so I am going to assume it's out of date. I assume I probably can't afford it. :wink:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 am

We dropped by on a friday evening when the weather was nice. Restaurant was not full, and surprisingly we were able to get a table on the patio. We heard all the hype about the restaurant coming here from NYC, and the chef and owners being from Amalfi coast. We were famished when we sat down, so we tried to order an appetizer to share with our cocktails while we studied the menu. We were informed that the chef does not allow that, and that the entire meal must be ordered at the same time. I get that with a prix fixe or tasting menu, but for a la carte? I suspect it is a strategy to prevent people from tying up patio tables to only order a drink and an appetizer. Maybe that flies in NYC, but hardly the thing to do on Bardstown road in Louisville.
At any rate, we were there to order an entire meal, and we did.
Food was ok, service was friendly but seemed overwhelmed at times. Hard to recommend over Lupo, Sorvino, Bar Vetti, Volare, and Ciao.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Hard to recommend over Lupo, Sarino, Bar Vetti, Volare, and Ciao.

Agreed.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 pm

That’s pretty outrageous, Ron- thanks for sharing. I’d agree with your assessment too ( though we haven’t been to Ciao yet).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Deb Hall wrote:... we haven’t been to Ciao yet).

You ought to go. It's a fun place. Decent Italian food, outstanding Italian bar. :)
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 am

I had a good meal there with my parents. Fried Calamari was outstanding. Everything else was good.

I didn't pay attention to price... My dish was huge and I didn't finish it.

Service was fine.