Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Haymarket Whiskey Bar?

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm

I assume most everyone has heard about the social media uproar regarding its owner and his alleged sexual harassment issues. Your thoughts?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Haymarket Whiskey Bar?

by neal.johnson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Sexual harassment? Over 17 women have come forward accusing him of rape. I'm surprised he hasn't been locked up yet after reading the details of what was done to some of victims.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm

It doesn't seem that it's broken into the news yet in any way. Not Insider, CJ, WDRB, Biz First. I'm sure not going to be first on this one!
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm

So you are fine to solicit the gossip but not name it for what it is.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't know any of the people involved, but apparently there's an unrelated person with a similar name who's being attacked over this.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm

meghan.levins wrote:So you are fine to solicit the gossip but not name it for what it is.

Meghan, I'm not trying to guide the conversation. I'm interested in information. Got any?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Richard S. wrote:I don't know any of the people involved, but apparently there's an unrelated person with a similar name who's being attacked over this.

That's not good. :(
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
meghan.levins wrote:So you are fine to solicit the gossip but not name it for what it is.

Meghan, I'm not trying to guide the conversation. I'm interested in information. Got any?

How is it guiding the conversation by calling him a serial rapist, which based on the number of women coming forward is what he is? It isn't sexual harassment, an entirely different thing. If you feel the need to be vague it in order to CYA, fine- just don't even describe it at all. Words matter, and when we use euphemisms or outright false descriptions to describe a serious event, we are perpetuating a culture that protects evil.

The information: a woman posted a photo of him with the caption "Matthew Landon is a rapist". She misspelled his name, which is the same name as an owner of Milewide Brewery (it has since been corrected). It went insanely viral because it has been rumored for years that Matthew Landan has raped women. And many women came forward in the comments and also privately with people they trusted. He made a public statement on FB denying the accusation and even knowing the person who made it, and he received hundreds of comments, next to nil coming to his defense and even more women coming forward. He has since taken down Haymarket Whiskey Bar page, his own and his old coffee shop. HWB was closed tonight. There is plenty more but these are the confirmed facts.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 am

17 is a big number.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 pm

There are a multitude of posts own Facebook about this including information about a protest to be held tomorrow.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Zach Everson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 am

Not Louisville

by Zach Everson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 pm

no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Have to agree with Meghan. This is not about sexual harassment, it's about rape, a crime which is woefully underreported because: 1) the perpetrator is violent and the victim is fearful; and, 2) the proof is often a battle of two witnesses, leading to the victim being put on trial.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:16 pm

The entire staff quite?! Everyone, even DJs. (Shaking my head) That’s a whole lot of smoke if there is no fire.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:51 pm

So are we talking about the same chuckle-head who used to own some kinda goofy coffee shop - art gallery ??? Slept in the loft above the shop ? Same guy ??? If so HE's the mofo who was hitting -big time- on Annie Hagan...So John Hagan beat his ass senseless - as I recall John pile drove his head into a wrought iron fence about a dozen times before leaving him laying in the street. :twisted:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 am

That would be the guy ... :twisted:
Next