Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Corbett's Closing

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Corbett's served its last dinners last night, here's the story from WHAS: http://www.whas11.com/news/corbett-s-cl ... /491188715. I'm kind of surprised they didn't wait till the 1st of the year to close because I'm sure they have holiday parties scheduled. Since the building went up for sale last month I think this was expected by many of us. I think more than anything it shows that the trend in dining is for less formal meals at a more reasonable price.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Corbett's Closing

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Not much of a surprise, as you say, except perhaps for its abruptness. I think we're starting to see a generational change on the local culinary scene. Not too many of the pioneers are left.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:56 pm

I heard a rumor, several weeks ago that Norton wants to buy the Costco property, If this is true perhaps they want Corbetts also. Dont know if that property is landmarked etc.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I heard a rumor, several weeks ago that Norton wants to buy the Costco property, If this is true perhaps they want Corbetts also. Dont know if that property is landmarked etc.

Norton has kind of built itself into a corner over there, unable to figure out why they didn't build a new hospital someplace with more land available. I would think that it would be expensive to buy the Costco property, I'm not sure where else in that area there is a large enough parcel of land available for them to build on. I don't believe that the Corbett's building is deemed historical though it probably could be if somebody wanted to push the issue. How everything has built up around there the Corbett's building certainly doesn't fit in with the surroundings and I'm sure it never will. If it is deemed historical trying to find a buyer for it is going to be a major battle. About the only thing it could be used for is a high-end restaurant and if Dean couldn't make that concept work in that location I'm not sure anybody else could.

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 am

I just hate this. White table cloth in the east end is increasingly rare.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 am

TP Lowe wrote:I just hate this. White table cloth in the east end is increasingly rare.

Shalimar? :D
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 am

When I think of Corbett's, I always want to share a food story.

It was my 40th Birthday and my friends wanted to treat me to lunch. That was a no-brainer for me- the three course fix-prixe at Corbett's.

Everything was perfect, but the soup still remains one of my all-time favorite dishes.

Vichysoisse- chilled potato leek soup. Perfect in late August. Theirs was exceptional, refined but had some tooth to it, garnished with a scented Olive Oil.

When you looked at it on the table, that dish matched the decor. White with some beige drizzles. I forget the exact wine I paired it with, but it probably was an Old World white from the neighborhood. Sancerre or Vouvray or the like.

The service was outstanding. Troy stopped by and chatted with us for a bit on top of the captain just being easy like Sunday morning. Enjoying Gayle and Tom and my Mom- three of my favorite people made it more special for me.

We even took a cheese plate and dessert wines at the end. Yum!

That was the best 40th Birthday Celebration.

I still can't get over that bowl of soup!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 pm

I wonder how much of this decision has to do with Dean getting on toward retirement age and having already battled health issues. Apparently Equus/Jack's continues, though.

Another thought that occurred to me: A big, less obvious piece of their business plan had to do with well-heeled pharmaceutical salesmen coming over from Norton for expansive expense-account lunches (also presentations) in the posh private rooms downstairs. I wonder if changes in the health system have cut into that revenue stream? Totally wacky idea, but it crossed my mind when I read about the sudden closing.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 pm

The building is on the National Register. Dean and Company did a great job restoring it and were justifiably proud. I see from a search here that Corbett's opened on December 15, 2007, so almost a 10-year run. We attended the soft opening back then and got a tour of the place, including the kitchen. I think that kitchen would be the envy of most local chefs - huge with high end, gleaming equipment. Good memories of dinners and events there. Best wishes to Dean Corbett.

I wonder if gift certs will be honored at any of the other establishments?

024-rsz.jpg
024-rsz.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Good work finding the picture of the plaque showing that the building is on the historic register. I had forgotten about that. I'm betting it can be very difficult to find any other restaurant to take over that building, it's certainly not an ideal location for a high-end restaurant and based on the work they did to the building and equipment they installed it's worth a small fortune.

The good thing is it also means that Norton probably can't buy it and tear it down.

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Thank you for sharing that memory, Stephen.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 am

Registration on the NRHP doesn't usually pose a huge barrier to tearing a building down. Having it landmarked (a higher standard) usually does, as does location in a preservation district. Neither of which is the case here, as far as I know.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Stephen D wrote:...Vichysoisse- chilled potato leek soup. Perfect in late August. Theirs was exceptional...

Funny you should mention that, Stephen. My wife raves about that same soup whenever thinking of Dean Corbett's places. She remembers it from Equus (before the TVs invaded), but I'm sure it's the same dish.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Jay M. wrote: She remembers it from Equus (before the TVs invaded), but I'm sure it's the same dish.

I love your comment about before the TVs invaded! I'm hoping now that maybe with the closing of Corbett's Equus may revert back towards how it used to be. It's new image is terrible in our opinion and stopped going there because of it. I like to go out for dinner and not have televisions blaring in our face.

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I work with someone who is a distant cousin (same last name) of the person referenced on the plaque. If the building is taken down, hope that the plaque can be saved for the family.
Next