Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Butchertown Pizza opens upstairs room with a different feel

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 am

Butchertown Pizza has opened its second floor, with a somewhat different feel and menu from the pizza hall downstairs, Business First reports in an "Exclusive" report today. The upstairs, per Biz First, has a different flair, with more of a jazz lounge feeling, a speakeasy-style bar and a small-bites menu that's from the pizza menu downstairs.

Here's the full story ...
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... j=79148091
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Butchertown Pizza opens upstairs room with a different f

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Going back to my favorite pet peeve, is this new 2nd floor area accessible? Considering it offers different items according to the ADA it has to be but knowing how things happen in Louisville I'm betting it's not! While many of the restaurants in NuLu claim they are accessible only sections of the buildings are accessible and many times they have special events etc. that are held in non-accessible areas. It's too bad that our "Compassionate" city isn't compassionate to those of us with disabilities.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Unfortunately, Mark, while the ADA is a good law and has accomplished a lot, it was written through a political process, and as you know, one of its key points requires reasonable accommodation. Making an entire second floor accessible is not an inexpensive or easy task, and in general the code is not going to require that. I'll bet fifty bucks, though, that they'll accommodate you and other wheelchair users by offering the upstairs menu to you downstairs if you can't go up.

You being as politically conservative as you are, I imagine you're not really opposed in principle to protecting a business from a drastic expense that would force it to lose significant profits or decline to increase profit by increasing capacity.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Unfortunately, Mark, while the ADA is a good law and has accomplished a lot, it was written through a political process, and as you know, one of its key points requires reasonable accommodation. Making an entire second floor accessible is not an inexpensive or easy task, and in general the code is not going to require that. I'll bet fifty bucks, though, that they'll accommodate you and other wheelchair users by offering the upstairs menu to you downstairs if you can't go up.

The issue isn't really the menu in this case (as well as many others) is the atmosphere in the separate areas. In this case according to their description the 2nd floor is going to be more of a "Speakeasy"/Jazz Club atmosphere, very different than the one downstairs. The case in many of the restaurants, Decca has had several special events in their basement which also isn't accessible. In most cases is not an issue of the food as much as it is the atmosphere.
You being as politically conservative as you are, I imagine you're not really opposed in principle to protecting a business from a drastic expense that would force it to lose significant profits or decline to increase profit by increasing capacity.

Protecting a business from a drastic expense is one thing, requiring it to comply to existing regulations is something completely different. I certainly agree that a business that is already open shouldn't be required to make huge changes but when a new business opens it should (and is in many places) required to comply! Decca is a perfect example of this, they completely gutted and remodeled the existing building as well as adding on to it almost doubling the size yet only a small portion of the building is accessible.

In the case of Butchertown Pizza, the 1st floor was made nicely accessible with very little cost when I took over. An economic analysis of what it would take to make the 2nd floor accessible should have been part of the thought process of creating this new area.

Also, in many cases the price to become accessible isn't really that great and there tax incentives offered by federal state and local governments to offset these expenses. Yet businesses don't comply because I don't want to! Yes, I've been told that directly by owners of a couple of restaurants.

no avatar
User

Allan R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:53 pm

by Allan R » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Mark,
Our second floor is handicap accessible, all areas. We have an elevator to get to the second floor. I hope this clears up any confusion or questions regarding our second floor. Thanks, hope to see you soon!

Allan Rosenberg
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Allan R wrote:Mark,
Our second floor is handicap accessible, all areas. We have an elevator to get to the second floor. I hope this clears up any confusion or questions regarding our second floor. Thanks, hope to see you soon!

Allan Rosenberg

:D :D :D Excellent
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Allan R wrote:Mark,

Allan Rosenberg

Thank You for providing this information Allan! :D I wasn't sure whether the second-floor was accessible or not and that's why I asked. Unfortunately I found that many of the restaurants in Louisville, NuLu don't take that into consideration nor really care.