Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Lupo's pizza and pasta sing a fine Italian song

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:02 am

Lupo's pizza and pasta sing a fine Italian song

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Lupo’s classic Margherita pizza.

Whatever might prompt two members of an indie rock band with a 17-year record and three songs on the Billboard 200 to leap from the world of music to the hard work of opening an Italian restaurant that features pizza and pasta?

That’s just what vocalist and guitar player Adam Turla and cellist-keyboardist Sarah Balliet of the band Murder by Death have done, though. In August they joined Sarah’s brother Max Balliet, owner of the popular Holy Molé taco truck, to open Lupo, a fine, casual eatery in a nicely restored 19th century red-brick house on the far inner end of Frankfort Avenue where Clifton meets Butchertown.

Lupo aims to fill a vacant middle ground in the city’s Italian-restaurant spectrum, slipping casually under the high-end, fancy service Italian dining rooms but a notch above our plethora of pizzerias and Italian-American family spots. Then they doubled down by bringing a distinct Neapolitan style to the pizzas, harking back to pizza’s origin in Naples, a thin-crusted, wood-oven form that’s significantly evolved in the many variations of American pie.

Decor is simple and attractive, exposed red-brick walls hung with old movie posters, including an ominous image of Ingmar Bergman’s 1968 “l’Ora di Lupo” (“the time of the wolf”), the Swedish master’s only horror film. Hardwood floors, undraped tables and wood-and-metal chairs could make for a noisy scene, but acoustical pads overhead hold the noise level down to a dull, happy roar. Three comfy, high-back banquettes line the front-room windows; the back room holds an oversize community picnic table that can accommodate a dozen diners, and a small, cozy bar that seats about six.

Lupo’s menu isn’t overly long, but it’s diverse. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/lupo- ... izza-pasta

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Lupo
1540 Frankfort Ave.
409-8440
pizzalupo.wordpress.com
facebook.com/LupoLouisville
Robin Garr’s rating: 90 points
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Lupo's pizza and pasta sing a fine Italian song

by Iggy C » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Coincidentally, we went this weekend. We split the olives, the caponata, the endive salad, the bitter pig pizza, and a bottle of Lambrusco. All in all, a lovely time. I think Lupo may be our favorite pizza place in town now.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

any additional details on the "well chosen, mostly Italian, wine list . . ."?

One of the things I really liked about Bim's place Primo was the all Italian wine list that was affordable and full of wines not normally seen on lists in Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Here ya go ... I'll attach it. It's shorter than Bim's, but pretty good Italian list. As I recall, Ciao also has a decent Italian list, although I always end up with some amaro or other wacky Italian cocktail over there.
Attachments
Lupo-drinks-menu.jpg
Drinks menu at Lupo
(319.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 pm

We tried Lupo a month or so ago based on a friend's recommendation. Maybe we caught them on a bad night, but we thought that the food was average and the service was desultory. I couldn't even tell you what we had to eat...it was that forgettable.

We put them on our "won't try that one again" list. Maybe we will give them another try, but Ciao is getting our Italian dining dollars right now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised, Mike. Now, I didn't mention it in the review, but we had an odd lapse in service for part of the time. Our server was really excellent, but she disappeared for 20 minutes, and during that time, a busser was in charge of the room, and he seemed sullen and uninterested. Then she came back and justice was restored to the world. :) But we were really impressed with just about all of the food. Even the tartine that didn't ring our chimes was fine, it was just a matter of personal taste. Do give it one more try, and if you're still unhappy, we'll talk. I'm hearing really good reports from all around, though.

Anyone else?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

PS: I'm with you on Ciao, though. Only a few places make my list of destinations that I'll go to for fun even when I'm not reviewing, but it's one. Food's good, but I just love their Italian drinks program.