Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Will UberEats push for delivery-only restaurants?

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 am

Very interesting concept from Restaurant Hospitality News ... would this be a threat to sit-down restaurants?

Restaurant Hospitality's Eats Beat wrote:UberEats nudges operators toward virtual restaurants
The delivery provider analyzes search data to suggest delivery-only concepts
Lisa Jennings | Oct 19, 2017

Chicago pizzeria owner Simon Mikhail had been working with UberEats for about a year when the third-party delivery service approached him last year with a proposition.

UberEats users in his neighborhood had been searching for “chicken” through the delivery service’s app, they told him, but there wasn’t much available. Was Mikhail interested in filling that void?

“I said, ‘I can do fried chicken. I have a fryer,’” said Mikhail, owner of Si-Pie Pizzeria.

But rather than adding fried chicken his pizzeria’s menu, UberEats worked with Mikhail to create a new concept, dubbed Si’s Chicken Kitchen, which was available only through the app as a virtual restaurant without any brick-and-mortar presence.

The virtual Si’s Chicken Kitchen has been open for about a year and averages about $1,000 per week ...

Click for the full story:
http://www.restaurant-hospitality.com/o ... 441435a96f
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Will UberEats push for delivery-only restaurants?

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am

Interesting concept although I'm not sure why a restaurant would want to do it. I can see adding the additional items to the regular menu and also offering them for delivery but basically hiding the secondary restaurant doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me. They don't get to use their Brand-Name for marketing nor does the new concept help them grow the notoriety of their brick-and-mortar restaurant. Besides, if Uber has identified a need for a certain type of cuisine in an area it seems like it would also be in demand for a brick-and-mortar restaurant.

I'm wondering if Uber is adamant about the restaurant being delivery only? I did notice in the article that at least 1 of the restaurants uses its real name as part of the marketing for the delivery only restaurant which certainly makes sense to me.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"