Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Metro Diner chain coming to Jefferson Commons, hiring 10

by Terri Beam » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Meanwhile back at the (food) ranch...

I look forward to checking this place out (although I'd really love it if it would go 24 hours as the options out in that end of town late night are pathetic; I'm looking at you Steak & Shake).

The one big negative for me is that location. There is basically one way in and one way out (aside from one odd little route in front of Qdoba). The developer really dropped the ball on traffic planning. Maybe they couldn't come to an agreement with the Jefferson Mall folks to add an exit through their access roads, but the exit lanes from Jefferson Commons to the Outer Loop were poorly planned. They made the parking lot excessively large (never even remotely close to filled out to the Panera-Chick Line) and the exit lanes excessively short.

Anyway, I wish Metro Diner luck in that location. For an area that was rich on diner food 30 years ago, it's a wasteland now.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Terri Beam wrote:The one big negative for me is that location. There is basically one way in and one way out (aside from one odd little route in front of Qdoba). The developer really dropped the ball on traffic planning. Maybe they couldn't come to an agreement with the Jefferson Mall folks to add an exit through their access roads, but the exit lanes from Jefferson Commons to the Outer Loop were poorly planned. They made the parking lot excessively large (never even remotely close to filled out to the Panera-Chick Line) and the exit lanes excessively short. .

The city planners used to be very, very strict about traffic planning. I guess that’s changed? :(
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The city planners used to be very, very strict about traffic planning. I guess that’s changed? :(

Either that or the developers of Middletown commons and Jefferson commons pulled the wool over city planners. We haven't been to Jefferson commons but traffic flow around Middletown commons is terrible also. It's very evident that no planning went into the traffic layout.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Damnbit Gumby,
The reason I read and wanted to post in this thread I completely forgot to do.
We are out in the South end of Louisville almost every Monday evening and eat out. There are a few non-chain places and we frequently go to VNK, but most of the places to eat are chains. This new Metro Diner may be a chain but it looks like it will have a well rounded menu and that is the important thing.

1. Breakfast served all day.
2. PASTRAMI ON RYE A half pound of our own thinly sliced smoked pastrami and Swiss on rye. Served with your favorite side.
3. RUBEN Corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing, cooked together on the grill. Served on grilled rye.
There's three Mondays and I haven't got to the Pot Roast, chicken pot pie or CHARLESTON SHRIMP & GRITS.

I'm in. Hope it opens soon.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 pm

I do not care which businesses anyone else supports...or not. We all have that right to choose. However, I've never "espoused" where others should shop or eat, though I very much care what businesses my own family support...and give our limited money to. And for me, the personal is political.

I choose not to give my money to an organization that supports political stances that harm me or mine. Which is why I will never go to a Cracker Barrel or a Chick Fil A...or a Hobby Lobby, for that matter. Which is why I really appreciate knowing where a business donates its money. This "political" aspect is just further information allowing me to make an educated choice. You are free to spend your money where you want to spend it. As will I. But I like knowing all I can beforehand.
no avatar
User

bruce.pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 pm

by bruce.pierce » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 am

Metro Diner is going to be in the building directly behind Fire House Subs and Five Guys.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:16 am

bruce.pierce wrote:Metro Diner is going to be in the building directly behind Fire House Subs and Five Guys.

Thanks for clarifying, Bruce!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 am

I occasionally find myself in parts of town less inspiring on a culinary level. Sometimes I just give in and grab something to satsfy a need. However, its never more than a 10-minute drive to find a better food option no matter where one finds him/herself.

As for this particular place, good for them. For some of us over 55ers, we remember when eating real food prepared in-house was more of a norm than an exception. In my native St Louis, just the cafeteria scene was enough with places such as Pope's, Miss Sheri's, The Fountain, Palms, Garavellis, The Mediterranean, and others that were all over the place and provided fresh carved meats, and just about everything else fresh from the kitchen. Of course, the arrival of Ryan's, Country Buffet and others offered more food--all-you-can--eat--for mainly less money.......we know the story from this point on......
James J. Natsis
Previous