Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

High-end chefs embracing Instagram?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:18 am

Interesting story from Grub Street about high-end chefs who once banned food photos at their tables are now embracing Instagram to take special dishes viral, and encouraging diners to shoot and post.

I wonder how this plays out in Louisville dining. I'm not a huge Instagram geek, but I see relatively few local chefs and owners posting regularly. Corbett's is on, Nahyla's Venezuelan and Con Huevos. I see Anthony Lamas posting lots of family shots and pics of his historic VWs :) but less from Seviche. Do any of you follow local chefs who post regularly?

Chefs Embrace the Power of the ‘Instagram Juggernaut’
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: High-end chefs embracing Instagram?

by JustinHammond » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:23 am

Michael Crouch - Bistro 1860
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks, Justin. Now following.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Interesting story from Grub Street about high-end chefs who once banned food photos at their tables are now embracing Instagram to take special dishes viral, and encouraging diners to shoot and post.

I wonder how this plays out in Louisville dining. I'm not a huge Instagram geek, but I see relatively few local chefs and owners posting regularly. Corbett's is on, Nahyla's Venezuelan and Con Huevos. I see Anthony Lamas posting lots of family shots and pics of his historic VWs :) but less from Seviche. Do any of you follow local chefs who post regularly?

Not on instagram, but I do admit to going out to places every now and then when they post pictures on FB. Gospel Bird and Mirin come to mind.

Chefs being against people taking pictures of their food, while I sort of get it, and maybe it works in the stodgiest settings, are shooting themselves in the foot, btw.

Now, I'm perfectly OK with them making a policy of chopping off the hands of people who use flash photography, though.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I take so many pictures of our food that the staff thinks I have a problem. Most of those make it to our Facebook page, but Instagram is another language. Maybe I can find a young person to show me the ropes.
Last edited by RonnieD on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:02 am

RonnieD wrote:I take so many pictures of our food that the staff think I have a problem. Most of those make it to our Facebook page, but Instagram is another language. Maybe I can find a young person to show me the ropes.

Not much to it, really. Think of it as Facebook for photos. And hashtags. Lots and lots of hashtags.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:29 am

The Seafood Lady's IG pics are mouth watering!
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:58 am

Robin Garr wrote:Interesting story from Grub Street about high-end chefs who once banned food photos at their tables are now embracing Instagram to take special dishes viral, and encouraging diners to shoot and post.

I'm in charge of the social media for Red Hog. We post pretty regularly. It works without a doubt. Multiple times a week we have people come in because of something they saw on social media.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:04 pm

The Fat Lamb posts regularly to Instagram. Yum!
https://www.instagram.com/explore/locat ... -fat-lamb/
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:05 pm

I wish more folks cared about the photo quality when it comes to snapping pics of restaurant dishes. A delicious white seabass shouldn't dingy yellow, pixelated, and blurry. Just more dumbing down of photography. :roll:
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:34 pm

neal.johnson wrote:I wish more folks cared about the photo quality when it comes to snapping pics of restaurant dishes. A delicious white seabass shouldn't dingy yellow, pixelated, and blurry. Just more dumbing down of photography. :roll:

Most people who take the pictures for a restaurant haven't a clue about photography. They don't know what a white balance is and it's highly unlikely their phone even has that option. Most photo ops happen in a dimly lit dinning room and it's either going to be blurry because the phone just isn't sensitive enough or they will just use a flash and make it worse. It's not their fault really. They are in the service industry not the photography industry.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Andrew A wrote:I'm in charge of the social media for Red Hog. We post pretty regularly. It works without a doubt. Multiple times a week we have people come in because of something they saw on social media.

If this post gives you two more followers, you'll cross 4,000! You know what to do, gang!

(I'm already in ... )
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 pm

It must be nice for these Chefs who don't embrace Instagram, or their customers who use it, to have a built in, long lasting customer base. Much respect to the legends who paid their dues and still don't need or want it.

Me? I'll take the free marketing, it's deeply appreciated- and we use Instagram as a very frequent tool at Mirin. If I spend 5 minutes making a dish I was going to try before serving anyway, 3 minutes finding the right angle and filter for the shot, and it brings 3 customers in for a $15 entree- sounds like I just made $337/hr for my efforts. If you take the photo and post it for me, I made money with no extended effort.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 am

As a foodie, I appreciate it greatly when chefs post their best on their thread!

That being said, sometimes it does get a bit overwhelming....especially when I'm sitting in one establishment and another post something delectable whilst I'm noshing on my meal! There are times that I feel the quote from Steel Magnolia's is very apt...."I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my (backside)" :roll: :shock: :mrgreen:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.