Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Food market supermarkets

by James Natsis » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm hanging around in Ontario and have visted a Fortinos several times. It is a rather expansive version of a Whole Foods with different stations at the front of the store selling items such as pizza and pasta, noodles and rice dishes, coffee station, a hot station featuring chicken wings, chicken tenders, onion wings, etc. a hot station with carved meats, and a desert and fresh bread station. The seating area is also larger than the typical Whole Foods. It is almost like a mini-mall food court at the front of store. It is sort of a cross between a Movenpick and Whole Foods.

Anyway, it seems that this store is limited to Ontario, at least for now. I imagine there are similar places in the US, but not in Louisville. Has anyone been to a Fortinos or something similar? It appears to me that this is a concept that we'll be seeing more of.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Food market supermarkets

by JustinHammond » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 pm

James Natsis wrote:I'm hanging around in Ontario and have visted a Fortinos several times. It is a rather expansive version of a Whole Foods with different stations at the front of the store selling items such as pizza and pasta, noodles and rice dishes, coffee station, a hot station featuring chicken wings, chicken tenders, onion wings, etc. a hot station with carved meats, and a desert and fresh bread station. The seating area is also larger than the typical Whole Foods. It is almost like a mini-mall food court at the front of store. It is sort of a cross between a Movenpick and Whole Foods.

Anyway, it seems that this store is limited to Ontario, at least for now. I imagine there are similar places in the US, but not in Louisville. Has anyone been to a Fortinos or something similar? It appears to me that this is a concept that we'll be seeing more of.

Never been to a Fortinos, but the remodeled Holiday Manor Kroger (Brownsboro/264) seems to be similar.

Fried Chicken
BBQ
Sushi
Chinese
Regular deli
Starbucks?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 pm

I was JUST IN the Holiday Manor Kroger for the first time in 2 years about half hour ago, and saw that! And was immediately jealous that Hikes Pt Kroger doesn't have the same thing. They also had a pizza and sandwiches section.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:34 pm

JustinHammond wrote:
James Natsis wrote:I'm hanging around in Ontario and have visted a Fortinos several times. It is a rather expansive version of a Whole Foods with different stations at the front of the store selling items such as pizza and pasta, noodles and rice dishes, coffee station, a hot station featuring chicken wings, chicken tenders, onion wings, etc. a hot station with carved meats, and a desert and fresh bread station. The seating area is also larger than the typical Whole Foods. It is almost like a mini-mall food court at the front of store. It is sort of a cross between a Movenpick and Whole Foods.

Never been to a Fortinos, but the remodeled Holiday Manor Kroger (Brownsboro/264) seems to be similar.

Fried Chicken
BBQ
Sushi
Chinese
Regular deli
Starbucks?

I haven't been to that Kroger yet. At Fortinos, each station is a separate island dispersed over a large area and with their own cash registers. I haven't seen anything like it in any of the other Krogers or elsewhere.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Isn't Wegmans like this?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Iggy C wrote:Isn't Wegmans like this?

I was just going to mention that store. Like the Kroger's different stores have different departments etc. but their big new ones I very much like the OP described. Some of them even have a 2nd floor dining area where you can eat in peace without being helpful by the activity on the sales floor. I was at the one in Dulles and they even have a huge wine shop with winds up to $1500/bottle. I had every kind of prepared food for immediate eating are take-home that you could think of. That's one store I certainly wish we would get here in Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 pm

In Chicago Marianas is exactly that concept. It will be interesting to see what happens, as late last year Kroger bought Marianos!

Also, I've been to Whole Foods that are very large and operate like that ... again in Chicago.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:11 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:In Chicago Marianas is exactly that concept. It will be interesting to see what happens, as late last year Kroger bought Marianos!

Also, I've been to Whole Foods that are very large and operate like that ... again in Chicago.

Hmmmm.....interesting. Hamilton is a metro area of about 500,000 which is about half the size of Louisville. They have multiple Fortinos with this concept. It likely won't be long before these types of stores will be in Louisville. No telling how they'll impact the local restaurant scene.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:43 am

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... /92415058/

Features include fresh sushi, a Murray's Cheese Shoppe, a garden center, a Starbucks, Boar’s Head Meats and a made-to-order meal department that offers gourmet pizzas and smoked barbecue. Other offerings are a hot Asian bar, the region’s first Eli’s BBQ out of Cincinnati, a Havana Rumba food cart, a Little Clinic and a drive-through pharmacy.

The store has a wine and spirits shop that has already opened.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:49 am

Hot Asian bar?
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:22 pm

There's a chain of stores like this in the New Orleans area called Robert's Fresh Market (of course, pronounced "Roe Bair's" and everyone seems to take that for granted. I stop in the one in SLidell every time I'm in the area to stock up on Creole red beans and Nachitoches meat pies. They'll set up little stations around the store with all the ingredients for a home cooked meal, along with suggested wine pairings. They also have a vast liquor section, fresh baked goods and gourmet meats and cheeses. I was just lamenting to my wife the other day about the lack of a high-end grocery store in Fern Creek. I hear a Fresh Thyme is on the way, though.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Richard S. wrote:There's a chain of stores like this in the New Orleans area called Robert's Fresh Market (of course, pronounced "Roe Bair's" and everyone seems to take that for granted.

Loved Robert's. I went to the one in Metairie/Lakeview.

There was also Martin's Wine Cellar ( Think Old Town Wine, Lotsa Pasta and Stevens & Stevens rolled into one place - great) and Doringnac's (local grocery, think Burger's/Doll's super-sized with wine).
User

Ward Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Beargrass Creek watershed

by Ward Wilson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Zupan's in Portland, OR is great. https://www.zupans.com
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:49 am

Kroger in Prospect Point has same thing .. expanded deli with Pizza, Bowls, Sushi, Murrays cheese and Boarhead
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 am

Gary Guss wrote:Kroger in Prospect Point has same thing .. expanded deli with Pizza, Bowls, Sushi, Murrays cheese and Boarhead

St. Matthews Kroger on Hubbards has just about all that stuff, too. I think it's the new standard for the larger Kroger shops as they remodel. Even Dirty Kroger has a lot of that, but it's still D.K. :mrgreen:
Next