Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Turin & Florence

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Turin & Florence

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for lodging, attractions and can't miss food establishments in Turin & Florence Italy? Planning a trip and could use some real world stories!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Turin & Florence

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am

Mary and I had a great time in Florence in 1982, so my restaurant recommendations are weak. Most of my travel in Italy in more recent years has been wine-related, so I've flown through Florence airport fairly often but headed straight out to Siena, Chianti region, etc. Torino is a big city but not a major travel destination, but there'll be plenty to see, eat and drink there ... heck, it's Italy! If you have time, it really would be worth wandering into the Langhe wine district from Turin to sample some Barolo and Barbaresco, and ditto the Chianti region from Florence. You can do worse than just sight-see in Chianti and then stop at any village trattoria you see. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed ...
User

jane.thunderburker

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:19 am

by jane.thunderburker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 am

Florence is a beauty. Visited it only once almost ten years ago, but the memories and impressions are still fresh. Sorry I can't recommend any restaurants, as I foolishly forgot everything. Though generally we picked some random places walking the city streets and they never disappointed us (as far as I remember :D). Back then I was looking for a house and enjoyed the sceneries while visiting different places like that https://tranio.com/italy/tuscany/florence/ So my fist recommendation would be to enjoy the nature, it's just stunning. Fields and hills, everything so bright green and buoyant. As for places to see, for me it was hard to choose from museums and galleries, because there is a way too many of them. Try to avoid the tourist frenzy and save some time for a picnic in Boboli Gardens and a lazy stroll along the old streets with a gelato.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:07 am

http://www.castellodeltrebbio.com/en/5/ ... ebbio.html

Short trip out of Florence.. great food and wine beautiful place and what a history!

Really loved Florence .. here's a guide to the markets .. Piazza Ciompi was cool and has all sorts of random old bits you can buy as souvenirs..

https://www.walkaboutflorence.com/artic ... s-florence
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am