Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

greg.schwartz

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Best Louisville tailgate-able food options

by greg.schwartz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Hey y'all, we're heading to see U2 at Cardinal Stadium next weekend and are thinking that we want to bring food with us to the lot. I'll be with some friends who enjoy good eats and I'll probably have time to pick something up, so wanted to solicit the opinion of the hive mind. Assuming you couldn't prepare anything yourself, what would you bring from the Louisville food scene? Is there a particularly tailgate-capable sandwich out there? Should I just hit up Lotsa Pasta? I might be willing to make multiple stops for the right products. Proximity to downtown a plus, but travel is not necessarily a dealbreaker. Looking for the insight of those in the know. Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Best Louisville tailgate-able food options

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 pm

greg.schwartz wrote:Should I just hit up Lotsa Pasta?

I was actually going to suggest that! Their muffuletta is the best I've found outside New Orleans, and their deli stuff in general is worthy. Even just a bunch of thin-sliced mortadella with pistachios and sliced provolone on ciabatta with a little mayo and Dijon makes the most grown-up baloney and cheese sandwich ever.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:46 am

Hope the food was better than the concert...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

greg.schwartz

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:25 pm

by greg.schwartz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:06 pm

I had a great time at the show. I would say it was pretty much exactly what I expected, except that I got a lot closer than I thought I would on the field.

And the food was outstanding. I grabbed some Old Forest Salami, sliced smoked mozzarella and provolone, some muffaletta relish, crackers, chicken salad, and some tortellini salad. All was delicious before and after the show, while we waited for traffic to clear out. In hindsight, I would have bought about half as much muffaletta and about twice as much chicken salad.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:18 pm

You weren't a fan of the show Steve?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:You weren't a fan of the show Steve?

My bride and I have both been U2 fans going back beyond the -original- Joshua Tree tour...We aren't "camp followers" but we've both attended quite a few shows in various venues and cities (Minneapolis, Chicago, Nashville, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc) going back to the early 80's...This weekends show was by -far- the least satisfactory of any we've attended. I'll give "The Lads" the benefit of the doubt - they aren't young men anymore and were (after all) playing the 3rd "90+ degree" outdoor show in the previous 5 days but honestly - the venue (Papa Palace) sucked, the sound was muddy, the stage distracting and the performance a bit worn and tired...Still love em though and will see 'em again.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 am

Steve P wrote:
Kris Billiter wrote:You weren't a fan of the show Steve?

My bride and I have both been U2 fans going back beyond the -original- Joshua Tree tour...We aren't "camp followers" but we've both attended quite a few shows in various venues and cities (Minneapolis, Chicago, Nashville, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc) going back to the early 80's...This weekends show was by -far- the least satisfactory of any we've attended. I'll give "The Lads" the benefit of the doubt - they aren't young men anymore and were (after all) playing the 3rd "90+ degree" outdoor show in the previous 5 days but honestly - the venue (Papa Palace) sucked, the sound was muddy, the stage distracting and the performance a bit worn and tired...Still love em though and will see 'em again.

I will defer to your experience. This was our third show. We saw them in Chicago in 2011 and 2015. Overall I enjoyed the show but agree that at times the sound, particularly Bono's volume, was a bit off and he got lost at times. Playing a whole album, even if it is the Joshua Tree, is bound to have some low points and this concert did, but overall we had a great time. Still think the 360 Tour in '11 was the best of the shows we have seen. And to make this food related, we too went with sandwiches from Lotsa Pasta and ate onsite once we parked!