Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

ROC rocks Italian food and drink

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:03 am

ROC rocks Italian food and drink

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

ROC’s branzino al cartoccio, Mediterranean ocean fish cooked and served in a foil packet.

Some of Louisville’s favorite restaurants have their roots in other cities. Consider Selena’s, for instance, which came up from Tampa almost a decade ago. Or Jeff Ruby’s, which added Louisville to its thriving Cincinnati metro operation; or even Vincenzo’s, which can trace its roots to the Hill in St. Louis.

Now let’s put our hands together for ROC, an elegant eatery that owners Rocco and Stacy Cadolini pretty much loaded on a moving truck in Manhattan’s Tribeca and unpacked in Louisville’s Highlands last month.

ROC didn’t leave Gotham without some weeping and gnashing of teeth. The Tribeca Citizen bid the Cadolinis a fond farewell at the end of February, saying, “Roc is one of those restaurants that has always seemed ingrained in this neighborhood.” Until it wasn’t.

Zagat’s crowd-sourcing scribes fancied it, too, with 4.1 out of 5 points for its food: “Year after year, this warm TriBeCa standby remains roc-solid for fancy Italian classics courtesy of delightful owners who make you feel at home; a comfortable atmosphere with fantastic outdoor seating distracts from prices that slant expensive.”

That description fits ROC in Louisville well, too. Located in the Highlands Victorian that once housed Butterfly Garden, it has been considerably renovated. Its attractive, spacious off-white rooms are trimmed in blue-gray. A long bar abuts the crowded main floor, which is set with undraped wooden tables and wood-and-metal chairs. A more upscale room is upstairs; we chose the small, glassed-in front porch, which offers a great view of Bardstown Road.

Rocco Cadolini hails from Sorrento - surely you’ve heard the song - and you’ll find a few regional dishes on the menu ... By and large, though, most dishes reflect the standard Italian canon ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/roc-r ... food-drink

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

ROC Restaurant
1327 Bardstown Road
459-7878
http://facebook.com/RocRestaurant
Robin Garr’s rating: 85 points
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: ROC rocks Italian food and drink

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 am

Robin, I wonder if the salt you've eaten over the years is building up for you?

My only complaint about the food (earlier thread) was the saltiness of one of the dishes, while I thought the others perfectly seasoned. We never use salt at home (health requirements), so perchance are more aware in restaurants, and for our tastebuds everything was salted perfectly (other than the Caprese, with seemed too salty); similarly, the couple we went with had no issues with the seasonings!

For your next physical, be sure to check your blood pressure!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 am

That would seem fair, Andrew, but our party of three all agreed about the lack of flavor, and I've coincidentally heard the same, unprompted, from several other folks. Maybe it depends on who's doing what in the kitchen on any given day?

I don't over-salt, but happily, my BP is hanging in there where it ought to be. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am

Robin Garr wrote:I don't over-salt, but happily, my BP is hanging in there where it ought to be. :mrgreen:

;-)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Is 85 points like a B, or a 3-star restaurant? As I was reading your review I was thinking "this doesn't sound too great, I bet they get a 'meh' score."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Well, points are like stars but more fine-grained. You could say 85 is in the middle of three-stars, I guess. But a lot more of my reviews get higher ratings. There's a real cluster between about 87 and 91, because a lot of our good eateries fall into that B+ to cracking A. I'm pretty stingy and don't go much over 90, and a place has to be pretty bad to drop under 80.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:23 pm

For what it's worth, there is little good scientific evidence that salt affects your blood pressure (unless you are eating a salt lick). In fact, there is a stronger correlation between low sodium diets and cardiac events than the reverse. The mechanism by which this would have happened is logical, but most modern research shows the concern is desperately overblown.

Of course, as with all medical research that eventually gets falsified, you can take that with a grain of....