Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Game Day Wings

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Game Day Wings

by Richard S. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Stopped in at the new place that occupies the space next to the closed-down Walgreens at Bardstown and Watterson Trail. They offer bone-in and boneless wings along with burgers, grilled or fried chicken sandwiches, shrimp, fish sandwiches and a few salads, plus an assortment of sides and appetizers. The prices were at the level you'd expect or a bit lower, with a 10-piece order of wings coming in at $8.99. I had garlic parmesan wings and my wife had a Caesar salad with grilled chicken, along with fried mushrooms for an appetizer. Everything was good, although not much different than what you would see at any other wing place around town.

We got there about noon and were the only customers for our entire stay. I hope they succeed, although I've seen at least three restaurants open and close in this spot over the past 10 years. Opening at about the same time as Roosters was a stroke of bad luck; Roosters had 50 or more cars in their lot as we drove by. My main thought was that they need some type of standout dish on the menu to draw in customers.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: Game Day Wings

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Richard S. wrote:They offer bone-in and boneless wings .............I had garlic parmesan wings and my wife had a Caesar salad with grilled chicken, along with fried mushrooms for an appetizer. Everything was good, although not much different than what you would see at any other wing place around town.

Does that mean the over sized mutant wings that wing joints seem to be trending towards? :o

"Normal" sized wings are harder to find these days. :?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Roosters was not very good when we tried it. The service was good, food mediocre.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:26 pm

If anything, I thought the wings were on the smallish side. My main feeling was that everything was prepackaged.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:07 pm

With the cost of wings these days it gets harder and harder to justify charging someone $1 per wing for piddly wings, so I'm opting for the jumbos to make sure the perceived value is high.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:14 am

Apparently, I am in the minority. To me, the smaller wings tend to be crispier and I prefer them, even at $1 a piece. Also, I can't help but wonder about the methods used to get these chickens to be so large, but that's another topic.

When you mentioned the perceived value, that also reminds me of a trend with many sushi places that cut their nigiri so large that it can't be eaten in one bite. I suppose that it goes along with large portions being popular.

I understand that you're running a business and simply responding to demand, so I digress. But, here is at least one customer that is in discontent with this "supersize it" mentality and trend.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Not sure if you're in the minority, I'm just speaking from the supply side. I guess the trade-off would be to give more, smaller wings as opposed to fewer, larger ones (wings being priced by the pound it all evens out). Some of it may be in the way the wings are prepared as well. A smaller wing may crisp more because it takes less time to heat internally and therefore the heat distribution is more even and the result is more quality fry time spent crisping the exterior whereas a large wing requires more time in the oil to heat internally. Compound that with the increased amount of moisture in a fat wing and you could have a case for giant wings being less crisp. I'm not really sure. We've not run into too many complaints in this vein, and we sell a good number of wings. We do get requests for wings "extra crispy" from time to time, which just means a couple extra minutes in the oil, but this isn't the norm.

I'd love to dig deeper into this, Ray. If you'd like, I extend an open invitation to you to stop by Gerstle's some time and we can hash this out in person with a plate of wings (on the house, in the interest of science) of various sizes and fry times. I'm here Thursday-Sunday evening.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:45 am

For the past two years my "go to" place for wings has been Wingstop (on south Hurstbourne) - 15 All drums, well done, extra wet with an extra side of sauce. Mm-mmm...Some of the best wings in town.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio