Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Welenken takes over as chef at La Chasse

by Robin Garr » Mon May 29, 2017 11:29 am

This comes as a surprise, at least to me ...

Andrew Welenken has been named the new executive chef at La Chasse restaurant, replacing Alexander Dulaney.
“We’re very excited to welcome Andrew to La Chasse. Chef Andrew brings a tremendous amount of creativity and talent to the table, in both culinary and administrative terms. His years of experience as a top Louisville chef and his deep understanding of a wide variety of culinary techniques and cuisines make him a perfect fit for La Chasse,” says La Chasse owner Isaac Fox. “With Chef Andrew behind the line we look forward to pushing more into farm-to-table dining, giving greater focus to our rustic European concept and executing new events and special dinners.”
Welenken comes to La Chasse from his most recent position as Chef de Cuisine at the English Grille at the Brown Hotel. Previously, he was Executive Chef at Buck’s.
“I couldn’t pass on this opportunity to really express myself through food in ways I have never done before. I’m looking forward to cooking outside boundaries and to bringing adventurous dishes to the menu. La Chasse means “the hunt,” and I want to play that up. I think that’s a pretty cool concept,” says Welenken.
La Chasse is located at 1359 Bardstown Road, Louisville, Kentucky, 40204. Phone: 502-822-3963. Website: lachasselouisville.com.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Welenken takes over as chef at La Chasse

by Jay M. » Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Surprised that Andrew took over or that Alexander left? I was surprised that Alexander Dulaney left Le Relais to open La Chasse.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 30, 2017 6:23 am

Jay M. wrote:Surprised that Andrew took over or that Alexander left? I was surprised that Alexander Dulaney left Le Relais to open La Chasse.

I was surprised that Alexander left, Jay. Andrew will do a great job, but I had the impression that Alexander left Le Relais because he wanted his own place. It seemed like a short marriage. Of course, I don't have any inside info at all.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue May 30, 2017 9:14 am

I am speaking solely as a frequent diner of La Chasse:

When all of this was transpiring over the wild and crazy Mother's Day weekend, I too was taken aback by the news of Chef Alex's eminent departure. I dined at La Chasse Mother's Day evening, and all seemed very normal and the kitchen was spot on, as usual. Then, Tuesday morning, the Facebook post that came out of nowhere hit.

I am not at liberty to go into details, suffice as to say that ways were civilly parted, hands were shaken, moves were made, and I for one am VERY excited about Chef Andrew's eminent arrival on the scene.

Now, those who are familiar with the Louisville Restaurant scene are aware, the business is always about finding the next best (fill in the blank). As one who almost went into the business some years ago, I have been blessed by developing unique friendships/kinships with some of the best and brightest in town. It is not unusual, nor unexpected, to see such changes.

As I stated, I am sorry to see Alex leave, but conversely am excited to see what Andrew will bring to the offerings of one my favorite tables in town!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Wed May 31, 2017 8:55 am

I've known Alexander was leaving for a while, couple of weeks maybe. I read an article somewhere that he is opening the restaurant program at the Maker's Mark distillery. Might be wrong about the brand. I'll have to see if I can hunt down this article.
Alejandro Magallanez
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:55 pm

We wish Chef Alex Dulaney a very fond farewell, and best wishes on his new venture. My understanding is that he will be working with Chef Newman Miller at Maker's Mark and the Harrison Smith House, though I may not have the details perfectly correct.

I have a deep personal debt of gratitude to Chef Alex, without whom I would not have been able to open my first restaurant. He was central to putting us on the map, and setting the bar very high. In reply to an earlier comment, however, Chef Alex was not an owner in La Chasse.

We are, however, extremely excited to have Chef Andrew Welenken heading up our team. I believe that he will bring the necessary ingredients to the table to take us to the next level. Under Chef Andrew we will be re-focusing our attention on farm-to-table, rustic European fare, game, and organic products.

We hope you all will stop by to meet Chef Welenken, and try his creative new dishes!

Cheers!

Isaac Fox, Owner