Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Las Gorditas now open

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Las Gorditas now open

by Richard S. » Fri May 05, 2017 2:51 pm

My wife and I stopped at the newly opened Las Gorditas location on Hudson Lane today for lunch. As mentioned in another thread, it's just off Bardstown in the location formerly occupied by Marric's. The menu carries all of the trailer menu items plus quite a few additions. My wife had the chile rellenos; two deep-fried chiles stuffed with beef each about the size of a baby's arm (cheese is also available) plus the requisite beans and rice. It was either $10.99 or $11.99; I don't recall exactly. I had chicken enchiladas; four equally large enchiladas topped with cheese and crema plus beans and rice for $10.99. We also had chorizo cheese dip for an appetizer. All fantastic.

The dining room chalkboard indicated huevos rancheros and a few other breakfast items as well, although they don't open until 11 a.m. They also have some dessert items. I was tempted by the chocolate mousse cheesecake but wasn't even able to finish the enchiladas, so I had to put that off until next time.

The staff was mostly familiar faces from the trailer. Apparently the trailer won't be in its usual spot this weekend but will be back next week. At some point in the next month or so they plan to move it to the restaurant parking lot to cater to the carryout business.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Las Gorditas now open

by Steve Shade » Sat May 06, 2017 1:00 am

The place is somewhat hidden. It is next to Rite Aide and across Hudson Lane from St Gabriels.

I have been to the Gorditas trailer a number of times and I am sure the restaurant will be just as desireable.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 am

I was about to come on HB to post about this too.

We went last night, and on the drive there, I kept saying that the place could probably be packed! It's pretty small as restaurants go. Surprisingly enough it was almost empty. Now that could have had to do with the rain and being Oaks Day, but I hope people who patronize the trailer are going to come to the restaurant.

We dined in and noticed that they were still doing a fairly brisk carry-out business.

And yes, the menu has expanded. It seems like the burritos expanded too! I usually get 2 at the trailer, but the one I got last night was enough. We also got the bean dip which I enjoyed. It was very thick, not like the soupy stuff I get at other places. It was also blistering hot temperature-wise (as the roof of my mouth is still protesting this morning). I'm on a relatively bland diet right now due to stomach woes so I didn't get too adventurous, but the food is the same great food that's dished out at the trailer. Prices have increased a bit, but that's no surprise with their higher overhead. My boyfriend and I ate for just over $20 though.

I live very close to the new location, so I can't wait to go back and try some of the new combo plates.

FYI: They are open to 11 pm on weekends, so they will not be keeping the taco trailer hours.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 06, 2017 11:26 am

Terri Beam wrote:I live very close to the new location, so I can't wait to go back and try some of the new combo plates.

Thanks for the report, Terri. It's a longer hike for us, but I can't wait to go!

Do you (or anyone) know if it's the same family that started it back in 2008? My review when it was still fairly recent mentioned "Pat Costas, is a native of Los Angeles, and his wife, Esperanza, and sister-in-law, Ofelia Ortiz." They were nice, friendly folks, and I hope they're still the team.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/thats ... -a-gordita
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Robin, I think it's the same owners. It's hard to tell from that picture in your review, but he looks like the guy I always see taking orders. He was also working the cash register last night.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat May 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes, it is the same owners.