Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

J. Gumbo's Stonybrook - Open after repairs!

by scott.wade » Wed May 03, 2017 12:03 am

They have had a sign up in the window for at least 1 week advising they are closed due to equipment failure.

I am guessing they are closed for good.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: J. Gumbo's Stonybrook - Status?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 am

So that leaves just the original on Frankfort Ave, right? Thus endeth a failed experiment in franchising.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 am

In fairness, it's a rough-and-tumble arena out there. I wonder how many mom'n'pop eateries that try to go the franchise route ever make it. I'm guessing it's a very small percentage.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

My inside source says they are legitimately closed due to a broken rethermalizer unit. Repairs are apparently not as swift as one might hope. A week seems like a long time to wait on a single piece of equipment.

And in J. Gumob's defense, they are doing pretty well in Ohio and have opened some other stores in other regions this past year. Speaking from the inside, getting a franchise up and going is a very terrible and difficult thing. If you haven't seen The Founder, starring Micheal Keaton, you really want to. There is much of that movie that was my life for 10 years.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 pm

RonnieD wrote:My inside source says they are legitimately closed due to a broken rethermalizer unit. Repairs are apparently not as swift as one might hope. A week seems like a long time to wait on a single piece of equipment.

And in J. Gumob's defense, they are doing pretty well in Ohio and have opened some other stores in other regions this past year. Speaking from the inside, getting a franchise up and going is a very terrible and difficult thing. If you haven't seen The Founder, starring Micheal Keaton, you really want to. There is much of that movie that was my life for 10 years.

No defense needed, Ronnie. My statement was motivated by sadness, not snark. I'm sorry to see the local franchises fail, and I desperately miss having a J Gumbo's option for lunch downtown.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote: I'm sorry to see the local franchises fail, and I desperately miss having a J Gumbo's option for lunch downtown.

I miss it too. On cold day, there was nothing better than a little voodoo chicken and buttered bread. :cry:
no avatar
User

tim.statts

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed May 03, 2017 2:54 pm

by tim.statts » Wed May 03, 2017 2:55 pm

the equipment failure was legitimate as i was there today and it was crowded and delicious
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 03, 2017 4:36 pm

tim.statts wrote:the equipment failure was legitimate as i was there today and it was crowded and delicious

Thanks for clearing that up, Tim, and welcome to the forum. I'll change the subject line on the original post so it will reflect reality.
no avatar
User

scott.wade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Re: J. Gumbo's Stonybrook - Open after repairs!

by scott.wade » Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 am

Glad I was wrong and glad they were still open. I went for a carryout on the day that it was posted that they are still open. I figured it was good to support them after a few days closed and it would be good to throw in a nice tip into the bucket for the emplyees who had been off for several days.

I was on a tight timeline so I got a carryout around 4:00 that I planned to eat in my car.

The cashier was about the most unenergetic and unfriendly person I have ever meet in my life. I was not happy to see the cashier take cash from the people in front of me and then grab the bread to toast without washing his hands or wearing gloves. He repeated the same process for my order.

My Voodo chicken was barely warm. If 6 out of 10 was not temperture hot enough but acceptable, my food was at a 2.

I didn't go back to get it reheated as I was already questioning the safety of my food after the bread. So, I threw the food out. I didn't go back to complain as I was pretty sure nobody but the cashier was on duty.

Hopefully this was a one off issue as have been a fan in the past.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue May 09, 2017 2:07 pm

scott.wade wrote: The cashier was about the most unenergetic and unfriendly person I have ever meet in my life.

If you think that's bad, avoid the Qdoba in Shelbyville Rd. Plaza. Just wow.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 pm

neal.johnson wrote:If you think that's bad, avoid the Qdoba in Shelbyville Rd. Plaza. Just wow.

I felt pretty bad about it when W.W. Cousins started going down that road, but that's been years ago now.