Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dangerous drinks?

User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Dangerous drinks?

by Steve H » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

Should we be more careful with the new cocktail craze?

Dangerous Drinks
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Dangerous drinks?

by Adriel Gray » Mon May 01, 2017 11:15 am

We see these pro establishment articles all the time hand wringing about the wild west of some new unregulated super scary trend. So lame. It's a dangerous world folks. No one is coming... it's up to you to look out for you. And don't fear you are still more likely to croak in your state inspected bathroom, or your state built and radar monitored road. :roll:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Clickbait. Except maybe for that fugu liver sake cocktail ...
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon May 01, 2017 5:25 pm

It had some interesting info in there; like for example, feeling ill from drinking a gin-and-tonic having too much quinine because the process making it changed from using cinchona bark chips to using cinchona powder.

And also the possibility of activated charcoal absorbing recently consumed medicine, like birth control pills, thus negating their effects. :shock:

I found it interesting because I'd never considered my cocktail being a potential threat before. Your mileage may vary, of course.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Oh, it's interesting, and you've pointed out some nuggets. Did you know that Campari used to have crushed beetles in it? :) Overall, though, I thought I saw some evidence of clickbait in it. "They might not wash the fruit!"
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue May 02, 2017 9:46 am

Yeah, it's quite a conundrum for the Campari folks: all natural crushed beetles or artificial food color. :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 9:50 am

Steve H wrote:Yeah, it's quite a conundrum for the Campari folks: all natural crushed beetles or artificial food color. :lol:

As a long-time Campari fan, I'm all in for the beetles. :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 02, 2017 10:38 am

I don't know....
I'm very leery of hyper progressive bartenders that wants to steep the next hot drink. Probably comes from that bartender in Tennessee that wanted me to try his "sumac infused" Collins. And yes, I know that some sumac is edible, I also know it's in the same plant family as poison ivy and cashews and mangos and that sumac infused drink was likely to send someone with a cashew or mango allergy to the hospital.
No thank you.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 am

Carla G wrote:I don't know....
I'm very leery of hyper progressive bartenders that wants to steep the next hot drink. Probably comes from that bartender in Tennessee that wanted me to try his "sumac infused" Collins. And yes, I know that some sumac is edible, I also know it's in the same plant family as poison ivy and cashews and mangos and that sumac infused drink was likely to send someone with a cashew or mango allergy to the hospital.
No thank you.

Do you think it might have been sumac, the Persian spice, rather than the American sumac plant? They're related, but genetically different. Per Chef Google, "The variety of sumac that grows in the Midwest is Rhus typhina. The variety that grows wild in the Middle East is R. coriaria."
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I seriously doubt it because when I asked the bartender wasn't sure only that "we got a lot of it around here!"
Besides, aren't mangos and cashews related but genetically different? People allergic to one will get allergy symptoms from either. Given the severity of reactions it's not worth the risk.
I think his intentions were good and he was trying but had no idea what he was doing.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue May 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Found this after a little bit of digging around-

Edible Sumac belongs to the family that also has cashew, poison ivy & mango as its members. Therefore, if you are allergic or sensitive to cashews or mangoes, you must also avoid Sumac. Apart from these, other types of side effects are not known due to limited number of human studies conducted using this herb. - See more at: http://www.vitaminsestore.com/sumac-ber ... DZbPT.dpuf