Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

food blogs can be VERY profitable

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 01, 2017 10:41 am

Robin, hope you're in this category...couldn't happen to a better person!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how ... l%20050117
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: food blogs can be VERY profitable

by Robin Garr » Mon May 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Hardly! :mrgreen: Still, that's the basic business model of our wine and food publications, which go a little beyond blogging but do help keep the wolf from our door. It would probably keep him a lot farther away if I were willing to accept freebies, but nope.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue May 02, 2017 7:48 am

I keep getting annoying video popups on my cell phone when I access Louisvillehotbytes from that medium. I don't have any problems when accessing from my laptop. Its getting to the point where I don't even want to bother checking the site by phone any more because I can't control the video commercials.

Anyone else having experiencing this?
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 am

James Natsis wrote:I keep getting annoying video popups on my cell phone when I access Louisvillehotbytes from that medium. I don't have any problems when accessing from my laptop. Its getting to the point where I don't even want to bother checking the site by phone any more because I can't control the video commercials.

Anyone else having experiencing this?

Never, and I do it all the time. However, I want to be responsive to this. I'll check out Google AdSense settings today and make sure the "allow video ad" setting is turned OFF, and I'll report back here.

A couple of questions, if I may, James? iPhone, Android or Windows phone? What browser? Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 am

Okay, I've clicked a couple more options to try to prevent video ads from showing up. We've never, ever allowed pop-up ads, though. I hate them, and I won't inflict them on people, not even to make a few extra pence. If you're seeing pop-ups, I wonder if you could possibly have picked up a case of adware on your device? (I don't even know if this is possible, but I'm pretty sure popups aren't authorized from our servers.)
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 am

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, I've clicked a couple more options to try to prevent video ads from showing up. We've never, ever allowed pop-up ads, though. I hate them, and I won't inflict them on people, not even to make a few extra pence. If you're seeing pop-ups, I wonder if you could possibly have picked up a case of adware on your device? (I don't even know if this is possible, but I'm pretty sure popups aren't authorized from our servers.)

I don't know what you did but it worked. I clicked in and out several times and opened 4-5 different topics--not one popup. This is nice. It had gotten to the point--at least on my phone--to where I could hardly even access the site without a popup continually doing its thing.

Thanks
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 12:10 pm

James, I wish you had spoken up sooner. :) I really try to curate the Google ads so they're not intrusive and not offensive, and that includes both blocking specific ad categories and advertisers and also types of ad, such as popups. But some of the sleazier advertisers are constantly gaming the system, so you have to stay on top of it.

So, again, thanks for the alert, and don't hesitate to let me know in future. I won't be offended, and a public post is fine, so others can be aware that I welcome help in policing.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue May 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Honestly Robin, I wasn't sure what was going on a first, or whether it was just limited to LouisvilleHotbytes. Like I stated earlier, it was just happening on my phone, but never on my laptop.

There is so much gunk out there loaded into sites in every way, shape, and form. This is clearly one of my treasured sites. I never saw these popups as anything more than some intrusive gunk somehow getting into my cell phone.

That said, carry on ol' chap!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm

James Natsis wrote:That said, carry on ol' chap!

8)