Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Santa Fe Grill

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Santa Fe Grill

by Tony G » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 pm

The wife and I have been spying this place for awhile. It's a small place right across the street from the UL baseball stadium. We decided to go there after work today. We get there and go, oh no there is a UL baseball game tonite. Parking was a challenge but we found a spot a block away. We go in, expecting it to be slammed but we got a table as soon as we walked in! I knew it was going to be good. Two young waitresses who spoke just enough English to be understood. I asked about beer or margaritas and was told no! Apparently they have no liquor license. Didn't matter because the meal was really good. I had the chorizo dinner. Full of good fresh onions, cilantro and really good chorizo! My wife had a chicken burrito that was as big as a football! I'm not kidding! Both were very good and fresh. They brought us 3 different salsas for the chips. A big red sauce and 2 green sauces, hot and HOTTER! I hesitate to go to the El Nopals, etc anymore because they are all bland and uninspiring. Santa Fe surprised us tonite. Great salsas, fresh food, really low price points. Makes me wonder why they don't get a liquor license??? And the young barely English speaking waitresses were attentive and polite. A good meal that was enjoyable.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

Re: Santa Fe Grill

by Melissa S » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:41 pm

We love Santa Fe. My teenage boys always want to go there. Service is friendly and efficient. The guacamole is fresh and the fish tacos and shrimp tacos are my favorite. My husband usually gets one of their giant burritos with the red enchilada sauce on top, and it's so good. They also make fresh ades (limeade is one of their staples) which are sweet and refreshing.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 am

I've been a big fan of Santa Fe Grill since the very start. It's hard to choose between it and El Molcajete a block away, though. Progressive taco dinner?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

Tony G wrote: I hesitate to go to the El Nopals, etc anymore because they are all bland and uninspiring.

Ahhh. Not so fast my friend. Nothing wrong with El Nopal. The one on Baxter Ave. is usually empty and they DO have margaritas (cheap and potent) AND beer. Try the veggie burritos sauced in chihuahua cheese.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 pm

El Nopals margaritas are potent and pretty good. (I think they still use Cuervo Gold for their frozen slushee mix.) The food and service varies from store to store depending on the manager. At least, that's been my experience. Mostly, after having experienced El Mariachi and the place on Hurstbourne near Westport (My Mothers Kitchen or something) I find El Nopal kind of pedestrian.
I'll try Santa Fe next.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 am

Been a Santa Fe fan for over a decade. Now, however, I feel a tinge of guilt each time I drive past it on the way to El Mocajete. Honestly, I think most of the food at Santa Fe is almost as good as El Mocajete, but their lack of a fryer (those commercially sourced chips just don't cut it for me) and an alcohol license are usually the tie breakers for me and my wife. I do love that warm and hot (spicy) verde sauce--goes great with their tamales, and their enchilado burrito (red sauce) is as good as any in town. I need to get back there and say 'hi' to the owner and his family as I've enjoyed the progression of his kids' photos behind the register over the years.
Oh, Carla, I too really like Cocina de Mama. Definitely a cut above the El Nopals, etc., particularly in terms of presentation.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Oh, Carla, I too really like Cocina de Mama. Definitely a cut above the El Nopals, etc., particularly in terms of presentation.

That's it!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson