Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A few South End reports

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

A few South End reports

by Richard S. » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 am

I see an operation called Game Day Wings is slated to open in the cursed spot at Bardstown and Watterson Trail next to the abandoned Walgreens. I believe it's scheduled to open May 2. Probably poor timing considering a Rooster's is opening just up the street, but we'll check it out. There's been at least four operations there in the 10 years I've been living in Fern Creek, and none have lasted more than a few months. We ate at the Mexican place that was there most recently and thought it was pretty good, but we were always the only customers at the time.

Another notable spot: Way out on Preston is a chicken-and-ribs joint called Dixie Chicken. I'm a fried chicken aficionado and as such stopped in last week. The chicken has a batter-type coating reminiscent of Churches. I've only had the spicy, which has a much better kick than Popeye's spicy. You can get a 10-piece dark and rolls for $11.99, which is a pretty good price. They also serve baked chicken, ribs and rib tips along with an assortment of sides. The only negative is that everything is on a steam table or under the lights, so it's hard to tell how long it's been out. There's a place next door that advertises home-made ice cream, so we'll check that out next time.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A few South End reports

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the reports, Richard! I try to stay up with all parts of town, but it's really helpful to see tips from the areas that I don't travel in regularly.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:59 pm

This might be a good place to add that there's a Mexican supermarket on Preston called Supermercado Guanajuato that has a restaurant that I mention because I had three things there that you can't find at every taco spot:
-Ribeye tacos (a price bump up from carne asada but well worth it)
-Pork al pastor that's actually carved off the spit
-cantaloupe agua fresca

And the supermarket itself has the most extensive produce and meat counter I've seen at a Mexican market in Louisville, fwiw. Anyway, I recommend giving it a shot.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Iggy C wrote:-cantaloupe agua fresca

And the supermarket itself has the most extensive produce and meat counter I've seen at a Mexican market in Louisville, fwiw. Anyway, I recommend giving it a shot.

Thank you for this! I just had cantaloupe agua fresca in San Francisco last week, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I was wondering if I could get it anywhere around here.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Or you could make your own! :)

This simple recipe uses watermelon, my favorite for agua fresca, but feel free to mix, match or create your own.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups (500 ml) cold water
1 cup ice cubes or crushed ice
2 cups cubed watermelon or other fruit
2 tablespoons (30g) sugar
Juice of 1/2 lime, no more than 1 tablespoon

PROCEDURE:
1. Cut the watermelon into roughly 1-inch cubes (precision is not important) and remove the seeds. If you're using other fruits, prepare them accordingly, removing seeds or skins and cutting into small pieces if necessary.

2. Combine all ingredients and blend in blender or food processor until smooth.

3. Pour through a strainer into a pitcher, forcing through most of the pulp. (The pulp is tasty and adds texture to the drink, but if you must have a clear drink, use a fine strainer and don't force the solids through.) Chill and serve.

CONCENTRATION: If you like agua fresca enough that you decide to keep a pitcher in the fridge, you'll soon notice that a big pitcher takes up a lot of room. Fortunately, it's easy to make it in a concentrated form that you can mix with water when you're in the mood for a glass. Put about 4 cups of fruit in a tall, narrow pitcher, add the sugar and lime juice, and then pour in just a little water, only enough to fill the spaces around the fruit (maybe 1 cup). Buzz it with the blender and put the result in the refrigerator to chill. When you want a tall glass, pour in a little of this thick slurry, then stir in three parts water to one of fruit, and add ice cubes.

Plan to drink it soon - it seems likely that the fruit would oxidize, ferment, or otherwise deterioriate after a few days in the fridge. But I'm not sure ... I've never let it last that long.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 pm

We love Supermercado Guanajuato I get the gorditas pastor, or the other pork ones (name escapes me) , hubby love the lingua tacos he also gets the horchata the cold rice drink. Very nice people large portions very reasonable prices. :D
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Iggy C wrote:This might be a good place to add that there's a Mexican supermarket on Preston called Supermercado Guanajuato that has a restaurant that I mention because I had three things there that you can't find at every taco spot...

Thanks for the reminder. Though this is a favorite of ours, we haven't found ourselves down that way for a few months.

I'll have to admit we've been stuck on their tortas the last few time we've been there. My sweetie always treats herself to a horchata when we go.

Also, according to their website there's a familial connection between the Preston store and restaurant and El Mariachi restaurant, the grocery store, tortilleria and bakery on LaGrange Rd.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:58 pm

BevP wrote:We love Supermercado Guanajuato I get the gorditas pastor, or the other pork ones (name escapes me) , hubby love the lingua tacos he also gets the horchata the cold rice drink. Very nice people large portions very reasonable prices. :D

Checked it out the other night. Despite a lost order that took nearly forever to arrive, I'll definitely go back. The tacos were all great, especially the lengua taco, and the whole thing came out to about $7.50 with a drink. Glad people mentioned it here, would have never known it was there. The strawberry agua fresca (watermelon wasn't there) was also pretty tasty.

And that meat market in the back is insane!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:07 pm

We stopped by for the first time tonight and got a carry-out order. I had a ribeye taco and a pastor taco, both with tomato and avocado added. My son had a carne asada quesadilla. Oh, and I got a pineapple agua fresca.
It was hard to make our choices- everything looked so good. The prices were more than reasonable. We were happy with how everything looked and tasted. Even though it's not exactly close to us and I'm never out that way, I will definitely try to make it back before too long.
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Highlands

by Beth Thorpe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Some other good things in the Southend--

There is a new Popsicle shop on Woodlawn in Beechmont, rehabbing the old gas station/mechanic on the corner of Woodlawn and Southern Parkway-- they are really good. Great re-do of the building too which was an eyesore. The coffee ones using Sunergos coffee across the street are addicting, and when it is hot, might be my morning wake up.

There is also a new Vietnamese restaurant in the works-- it is where the old Thornberry Pie shop was. Says Vietnamese street food. Watching to see if there are folks there so I can stop in and get the word.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 pm

There is also a new Vietnamese restaurant in the works-- it is where the old Thornberry Pie shop

Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of Thornberry's delicatessan, the south end lost a real gem when they were forced to close...some of the best pies in Louisville for about $10 each.

I heard from the hair salon a few doors down that the city was forcing them to either spend $50,000 on upgrading their ovens and hvac or else CLOSE. They didn't have the $50k so CLOSE was the only option.

I know they were at the same location for over 50 years ...maybe even longer, but my memory will only take me back to the early 1960's.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Steve A wrote:
Iggy C wrote:This might be a good place to add that there's a Mexican supermarket on Preston called Supermercado Guanajuato that has a restaurant that I mention because I had three things there that you can't find at every taco spot...

Thanks for the reminder. Though this is a favorite of ours, we haven't found ourselves down that way for a few months.

I'll have to admit we've been stuck on their tortas the last few time we've been there. My sweetie always treats herself to a horchata when we go.

Also, according to their website there's a familial connection between the Preston store and restaurant and El Mariachi restaurant, the grocery store, tortilleria and bakery on LaGrange Rd.

I had a sopa de carne de res (aka caldo de res) at La Guadelajara and Mi Preferida (Fern Creek supermercado) recently. Both different but excellent. Such a fun experience as well for us gringos who speak decent enough espanol.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am

Despite the indicated 5/2 opening date, I have yet to see Game Day Wings actually open. Every time I drive past, it seems like they're still working on the building. They don't seem to have any web presence whatsoever either.

We checked out Roosters' new location, and I was distinctly unimpressed. Even for a chain, the food and service was sub-par. It was a comedy of errors from beginning to end. We sat twiddling our thumbs while our server sat at a nearby table (maybe 3 feet at most) with some of her bro-friends, chatting them up. Eventually she wandered over and took our drink and meal orders, and then promptly forgot and had to verify we'd ordered waters when she brought the cups to the table. She popped around to chat with her dudes again. Appetizers arrived via a runner. Serviceable but typical bar food.

Then the weirdest part. After multiple comments from our server that our food was on the way, a runner showed up with it, in bags!

We'd eaten our appetizers at the table. We'd consumed our beverages at the table. I assumed the unfocused server had at least put "dine in" on the ticket!

I told the runner that we did NOT order to go. She rushed back to the kitchen to plate it. Server stopped by and double-checked her ticket and said she had rung it in as "dine in." Food finally arrived on plates, but by that time none of it was fresh or hot (my guess it sat under the lamps a little too long before the runner picked it up in the first place), and I can honestly say the burgers were some of the worst we've had in Louisville. The meat was flavorless, and even though we ordered medium, they came out well-done and dry (and again, lukewarm). Culver's does a better burger for less money. While I can say the chicken tenders are huge, they don't translate well when lukewarm either.

I should have asked for the whole meal to be recooked since they screwed the experience up so thoroughly, but we were hungry (and still hungry after eating because the food was so bad).

I guess if you're looking to drink and watch games on TV and distract your waitress friends from doing their jobs, it's the place to go. I do not plan on ever returning, despite its location near my house. They're not likely to miss my business though as it seems like the place is always packed.

I'm eagerly awaiting word of what will be going in Southpointe Commons, although I suspect any eateries will be chains. There are a couple of the dreaded chains I would welcome to the area with open wallet though!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am

Terri Beam wrote:We checked out Roosters' new location, and I was distinctly unimpressed.

I should say so! Thanks for the report, Terri.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon May 22, 2017 9:40 am

Terri Beam wrote:Despite the indicated 5/2 opening date, I have yet to see Game Day Wings actually open. Every time I drive past, it seems like they're still working on the building. They don't seem to have any web presence whatsoever either.

It looks like they have opened, although I don't see more than two or three cars at a time there. We may stop in this week just to see what it's about.